Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

If he buys into the blocking schemes, he will see a lot more playing time in '18. My guess, and hope, is that when he does start blocking, he will not be taken off the field very often and become a true star on this team. He certainly has the talent for it! Seriously, what linebacker is going to cover this guy? His upside is nearly limitless!

Comments

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... Woerner is good, but he's not on the same level as Nauta. I personally think Nauta can be similar to Gronk in the NFL.

• chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Luke Ford might be the true pass catcher we all want.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg19 said:
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... Woerner is good, but he's not on the same level as Nauta. I personally think Nauta can be similar to Gronk in the NFL.

I see the same thing

@chattanoogadawg said:

I think Woerner is the better blocker and Nauta is the better catcher. Could be wrong because I can't remember what the tight ends looked like catching passes

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless it's an attitude issue this is on our coaches.
    It's ridiculous we haven't been able to utilize the best group of TEs in the country.
    Honestly I'm shocked we're still able to recruit the position.
    Kirby says the problem is how defenses use their secondaries...BS.
    If that was all it took to neutralize TEs we wouldn't see the many unstoppable TEs at every level.
    the great thing about TEs is they are tough match ups. They are too big for DBs and very few LBs can match them athletically.
    These kids are wasting away on our roster.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    It's ridiculous we haven't been able to utilize the best group of TEs in the country.
    If that was all it took to neutralize TEs we wouldn't see the many unstoppable TEs at every level.
    the great thing about TEs is they are tough match ups. They are too big for DBs and very few LBs can match them athletically.

Georgia doesn't utilize their TEs? Yikes. Guess you haven't seen any games this past year.

Sidenote: If you missed this past season, Georgia went 13-2, won the SEC CG and Rose Bowl.

@JRT812 said:

@chattanoogadawg said:

I think Woerner is the better blocker and Nauta is the better catcher. Could be wrong because I can't remember what the tight ends looked like catching passes

Luke Ford was foolish to come to UGA, Nauta and Woerner were both s> @DawgsofWar said:

@WCDawg said:

Georgia doesn't utilize their TEs? Yikes. Guess you haven't seen any games this past year.

Sidenote: If you missed this past season, Georgia went 13-2, won the SEC CG and Rose Bowl.

I wonder if YOU watched UGA football the past 2 seasons.
    Of course we haven't utilized TEs other than as blockers.
    All you need is the ability to read a stat sheet to see this is fact.
    Overall success has nothing to do with whether TEs are utilized.

@Kasey said:
    Smells like a troll got out

At least have the guts to be direct.
    I don't see anything to suggest there is any trolling.
    Anybody with the ability to read stats can see see have done a very poor job at utilizing TEs .
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ? The NFL doesn't give blocking TEs big contracts.
    What I am is a true UGA fan who manages to remain honest.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Anybody with the ability to read stats can see see have done a very poor job at utilizing TEs .
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ? The NFL doesn't give blocking TEs big contracts.

>

We were playing a true freshman qb whose main goal was to not give the ball up. That translates into sideline throws, curls, slants, etc. Staying away from traffic in the middle of the field. That will change this coming year and no on will be asking this question.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

You do understand that Georgia played the year with a true freshman QB, two great running backs and three new starters on the O-line. That using the tight ends the way they did they lost in overtime in the National Championship game after winning both the SEC and a shootout in the Rose bowl.

Next year there will be four returning starters on the O-line and a sophomore QB and new running backs. I think there is a good chance that Georgia's Passing game will pick up to both the wide receivers and tight ends and less experienced running backs. However Georgia is never going to be a pass happy Big 12 team under CKS.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Your general lack of posts in conjunction with your negativity is not a great sign.

@chattanoogadawg made my points about TEs. Wait till 2018, if we see more of the same, come back and whine some

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that Kirby did utilize TEs properly this year.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would be happy that these kids did choose to play for Georgia rather than any other school.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that everybody on a team plays a role. Hence TEs playing a blocking role last year to get the RBs a hole to run in.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg19 said:

I don't agree. I think Gronk is one in a long time type of player. Much bigger and stronger than Nauta.

@chattanoogadawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

>

We were playing a true freshman qb whose main goal was to not give the ball up. That translates into sideline throws, curls, slants, etc. Staying away from traffic in the middle of the field. That will change this coming year and no on will be asking this question.

TEs are great for short safe routes. Fromm actually threw more deep routes than those short safe throws. He also threw many out routes, those are not typical freshman throws.
    There is nothing about Fromm that should limit the offense from targeting it's TEs.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@oldon42 said:
    There is one problem with you analysis and he is named Charlie Woerner who is just as big and may be faster. Woerner after all was a 4 star WR who out grew that position. Another problem Nauta has besides blocking is he was working with Eason and at the same time Woerner was working with Fromm. While I do agree Nauta is immensely talented. I think you are greatly under estimating Woerner's talent.

Isaac Nauta TE 6-4 246
    Charlie Woerner TE 6-5 245

Which of the two has the best hands? Sorry we haven't seen enough passes go their way.

@donm said:

@Dawg19 said:

I don't agree. I think Gronk is one in a long time type of player. Much bigger and stronger than Nauta.

Nauta doesn't have the length most top TEs have these days. He does have excellent hands and route running ability though. There's nothing ability wise to limit either Woerner or Nauta.

The TE’s were used this year. It was just different than what we’re used to seeing. Happy Ford wants to come here

@WCDawg The middle was crowded due to all the effort to stop the run. Leaves corners on islands. Hence the out routes, fades, slants, curls (easy throws on man coverage). Either you agree or you think he’s incapable of throwing over the middle.. it’s not like they weren’t running routes