Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Greatest basketball player of all time

judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know this is off topic, but i just want to spark some friendly debate while we wait for this board to pick up during the season

Greatest basketball player of all time 66 votes

Lebron
21%
Dawg19DGD28PTDawgFunroebrentwilsonBigcalidawgjay_kubzzjudasdurantFarmdawgbenjaminwgreggsauceddawgAtlanta_Dawgmantis_toboggan69VALDOSTADAWG 14 votes
Jordan
65%
SavageDawg17amjadawgsJoelSidneyKellyReeldawgBullyDawgDawgnation33TeddyBiffLowmanTdub0199josh31533Dawgy_FreshgodawgsMidnite_TrainMarkBoknechtinsertusernamehereDamnYankeeDawgPigeonsAgDawgbmauldinBoroDawg 43 votes
Magic
0%
Other
13%
BamaDawgCZCashvilleDawgdbrown7494ugadawgs07oldon42KaseyPlayHurtWCDawgRed_N_Black 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod
    Lebron

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bron fan... But he's the greatest talent the game has ever seen. What he's doing right now at his age is unheard of.

• Options
    Lebron

@WCDawg i see you put other, let’s hear it

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018
    Other

Bill Russell.
    Youtube his rebound, full court sprint, jump over an opponent at the foul line and dunk.
    His career advanced defense metric is double anybody else's.

• Options
    Lebron

@WCDawg said:
    Bill Russell.
    Youtube his rebound, full court sprint, jump over an opponent at the foul line and dunk.

His competition though lmao

• Options
    Other

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:
    Bill Russell.

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:
    Bill Russell.

West, Wilt, and a host of all time greats, and he faced them almost every game because talent was concentrated in a much smaller NBA.

• Options
    Lebron

@WCDawg
    But you will agree that talent overall has gotten extremely better. Three pointers being such a big part of the game nowadays. Rebound King? Sure.. GOAT? Doubtful.

I know 11 rings or something like that.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Other

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg
    But you will agree that talent overall has gotten extremely better. Three pointers being such a big part of the game nowadays. Rebound King? Sure.. GOAT? Doubtful.

Watch the 11 second video I mentioned if you have doubts about his supreme athletic ability. He was the fastest and most agile big ever. That and he was hands down the smartest big defender ever.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

Jordan was (is) the greatest Guard I have ever seen in my lifetime. Like, ever. Wilt, & Russell certainly can (& it's arguably too) to lay claim to THE GOAT's Great conversation. Reveals bias, & definitely age(s) of all of us here in the DawgNation Forum.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

Talent has not gotten better. The NBA is unwatchable now. Back in Jordan's day the NBA was huge. Look at the HOF guys playing back then compared to the superstars now. NBA ratings are terrible now because it is so boring and bland. Outside of Lebron and Curry, who are the household names? The heyday of the NBA was the Jordan years in terms of popularity, talent, competitiveness, and overall entertainment value.

• Options
    Lebron

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

Watch the 11 second video I mentioned if you have doubts about his supreme athletic ability. He was the fastest and most agile big ever. That and he was hands down the smartest big defender ever.

Impressive, but wasn't that Michael J Fox (not wolf mode) guarding him?

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

I have to chime in on this one. If you are old enough to have seen Jordan in his prime, you would pick Jordan – no debate necessary. Scottie Pippen was a very good player in the Jordan era, but the key to that sentence is “in the Jordan era.” Jordan played with a lot of good but not great players around him. HE made those players relevant. His ability to put a team on his back, imo, is matched by NONE. The guy was amazing.

I agree LeBron is a great player, but doesn’t have the impact in a game, nor the impact of making other team members seem great anywhere close to the level Jordan did. JMO, of course.

• Options
    Lebron

@pgjackson said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

Talent has not gotten better. The NBA is unwatchable now. Back in Jordan's day the NBA was huge. Look at the HOF guys playing back then compared to the superstars now. NBA ratings are terrible now because it is so boring and bland. Outside of Lebron and Curry, who are the household names? The heyday of the NBA was the Jordan years in terms of popularity, talent, competitiveness, and overall entertainment value.

Yeah I hear ya on that. It's not fun to watch anymore. Thank KD for that. But I guarantee this Warriors squad would demolish any Bulls team of your choice. Pippen was a huge part of Jordan's success. Look at Jordan's record without Pippen.

• Options
    Lebron

@pgjackson said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

I disagree 100%. Durant has turned me off the nba the last couple years, but the talent now is undoubtedly better than it was 30 years ago. Same is true for every sport.

Also, believe it or not, nba ratings are higher than ever. That’s why the contracts for these players are so absurd

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Other

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

Wilt, & Russell were about equal as basketball players and are still the class of the NBA. Russell was better at defense and Wilt was better at offense. Wilt is still the greatest athlete ever. He was faster than Russell (he ran a 46 second 440 at Kansas, he also was a 60 foot shot putter)

• Options
    Lebron

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

I disagree 100%. Durant has turned me off the nba the last couple years, but the talent now is undoubtedly better than it was 30 years ago. Same is true for every sport.

Also, believe it or not, nba ratings are higher than ever. That’s why the contracts for these players are so absurd

Devin Booker (21 yrs old) just signed a 5 year 158 million dollar deal. Insanity.

• Options
    Lebron

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg

WC, my man, not even bill Simmons tries to argue that one. I’m a big bill Russell fan, but his game wouldn’t translate.

He wasn’t even the most athletic Big of his era. Wilt literally set the single game rebound record AGAINST Russell as well

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018
    Jordan

Anyone ever seen the list of NBA Hall of Fame players that were prevented from ever getting a championship ring because of Jordan being in their way???

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-nba-legends-michael-jordan-stole-a-ring-from/

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23456720/is-lebron-james-michael-jordan-greatest-nba-player-all

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Anyone ever seen the list of NBA Hall of Fame players that were prevented from ever getting a championship ring because of Jordan being in their way???

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-nba-legends-michael-jordan-stole-a-ring-from/

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23456720/is-lebron-james-michael-jordan-greatest-nba-player-all

I just wrote and epic response regarding the 80's and early 90's NBA...but I got the "your post show up after being approved" nonsense which means it's gone forever. Anyway, the list of HOF players who were all active at the same time is staggering. And Jordan ruled them all. The NBA is nothing like it used to be. There are maybe 3-4 elite players right now. Kids are coming right out of HS or after one year of college. How tough can the competition be if 18 year old kids are starting?

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

Jordan is the GOAT in my lifetime. He was behind Magic and Bird in the '80s. That all changed when he drilled six 3s in the first half against Portland in 1991. When he improved his outside shooting, he couldn't be stopped. The rest of the NBA, as well as DYD, shrugged like Jordan and basically said the league is screwed.