Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Greatest basketball player of all time

Comments

• Options
    AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Jordan

Fwiw, I voted for Michael Jordan (better scorer and defender):

Jordan, 6'6", 216 lbs.:

• ACC Rookie of the Year, 2x First-Team All ACC, 2x Consensus First-Team All-American, Consensus National Player of the Year; NCAA Champion
    • In 15 years as a professional, he won 6 NBA Championships and lost none of them; 6x NBA Finals MVP
    • Avg. 30.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.3 apg, 2.3 spg, and 0.8 bpg in the NBA regular season; made 49.7% FGs, 32.7% 3-pt. FGs, 83.5% FTs
    • Avg. 33.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 5.7 apg, 2.1 spg, and 0.8 bpg in the NBA playoffs; made 48.7% FGs, 33.2% 3-pts., 82.8% FTs
    • 9x NBA All-Defensive First Team

Lebron, 6'8", 250 lbs.:

• In 15 years as a professional, he won 3 NBA Championships and lost 6 of them; 3x NBA Finals MVP
    • Avg. 27.2 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 7.2 apg, 1.6 spg, and 0.8 bpg in the NBA regular season; made 50.4% FGs, 34.4% 3-pts., 73.9% FTs
    • Avg. 28.9 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 7.1 apg, 1.8 apg, and 1.0 bpg in the NBA playoffs; made 49.1% FGs, 32.3% 3-pts., 74.3% FTs
    • 5x NBA All-Defensive First Team
  • Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Other

Let me get this straight. Because UGA football is out of season, we're gonna talk about basketball, which is also out of season...........uh.......OK then......in my opinion the greatest basketball player of all time is (as of yesterday) Travon Walker. GO DAWGS

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here are the guys Jordan played against in the 80s and 90s

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

There is nothing like that the last 10 years in the NBA. The late 80’s to early 90’s were the heyday of the NBA.

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

I think it's Jordan but people think MJ is untouchable where I think it's super close.
    My top 10 in order:

MJ
    Kareem
    LBJ
    Magic
    Big O
    Bird
    Wilt
    Bill
    the Dream
    Mamba

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@Dawgy_Fresh said:
    I think it's Jordan but people think MJ is untouchable where I think it's super close.
    My top 10 in order:

MJ
    Kareem
    LBJ
    Magic
    Big O
    Bird
    Wilt
    Bill
    the Dream
    Mamba

Great list. Kobe at 10 though? We could debate that. My list based on position, 2 deep.

MJ
    Kareem
    LBJ
    Magic
    Duncan

Kobe
    Russell
    Bird
    Wilt
    I. Thomas

• Options
    Jordan

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

There is nothing like that the last 10 years in the NBA. The late 80’s to early 90’s were the heyday of the NBA.

Look how many HOF he kept from getting a ring. Never played a game 7...6-0 in finals, 6 MVPs.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

Gimme the bottom list over the top

• Options
    Jordan

@pgjackson said:

@christopherules said:
    Anyone ever seen the list of NBA Hall of Fame players that were prevented from ever getting a championship ring because of Jordan being in their way???

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-nba-legends-michael-jordan-stole-a-ring-from/

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23456720/is-lebron-james-michael-jordan-greatest-nba-player-all

I just wrote and epic response regarding the 80's and early 90's NBA...but I got the "your post show up after being approved" nonsense which means it's gone forever. Anyway, the list of HOF players who were all active at the same time is staggering. And Jordan ruled them all. The NBA is nothing like it used to be. There are maybe 3-4 elite players right now. Kids are coming right out of HS or after one year of college. How tough can the competition be if 18 year old kids are starting?

90s basketball is over rated. Not nearly as talented players in the league as they are today. The only position group that is better in the 90s than today is at center.

• Options
    Jordan

@judasdurant fun list, but you you might be a prisoner of the moment. Some of those guys haven’t proved anything yet. Every one on top list is HOF. Your list contains players that may not have endured the physicality of yesteryear’s game. Fun to debate though.

Tmac-never got out of 1st round
    AD-talented but injury prone and still young
    Giannis-too new too rate while talented
    Rose-flash in pan, injury prone
    Dwight-great defensive player, injury prone
    Melo-teams get better when he leaves

• Options
    Jordan

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

The 90s vs 00s

PGs Todays PGs is stacked how it was stacked for C in the 90s

Stockton, Payton, KJ, Tim Hardaway, Penny, Mark Price, young AI, Young Kidd, young Nash vs Steph, MVP Nash, Vet Kidd, older AI, CP3, Parker, Westbrook,

SGs closest matchup

MJ, Reggie, Clyde, Mitch, Dumars, Steve Smith vs Kobe, Dwade, Harden, Klay, Buttler, Beal, DeRozan, Tmac, Ray Allen

SFs 00s destroys 90s

Pippen, Mullen, old Nique, pre hurt Hill, Detlef, Worthy, Rice, Glen Robinson VS LBJ, KD, PG, Melo, Giannis, the Claw

PFs Slight advantage 00s

Malone, Barkley, Johnson, Oakley, Grant, Rodman, Kemp VS Timmy, KG, Dirk, Pao G, Pre hurt Bosh, AD,

Centers 90s destroys 00s

Akeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, Shaq, Vlade, Smits vs Shaq, Dwight, Boogie, Gobert,

• Options
    Jordan

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    @judasdurant fun list, but you you might be a prisoner of the moment. Some of those guys haven’t proved anything yet. Every one on top list is HOF. Your list contains players that may not have endured the physicality of yesteryear’s game. Fun to debate though.

Tmac-never got out of 1st round
    AD-talented but injury prone and still young
    Giannis-too new too rate while talented
    Rose-flash in pan, injury prone
    Dwight-great defensive player, injury prone
    Melo-teams get better when he leaves

Dominique- injuries and barley made it out of 1st rd
    Laimbeer- is a joke dude averaged like 12 pts a game and basically was paid to take out players (not real defense)
    Kemp- too much cocaine
    Mutombo- only played defense

• Options
    Lebron

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

The 90s vs 00s

PGs Todays PGs is stacked how it was stacked for C in the 90s

Stockton, Payton, KJ, Tim Hardaway, Penny, Mark Price, young AI, Young Kidd, young Nash vs Steph, MVP Nash, Vet Kidd, older AI, CP3, Parker, Westbrook,

SGs closest matchup

MJ, Reggie, Clyde, Mitch, Dumars, Steve Smith vs Kobe, Dwade, Harden, Klay, Buttler, Beal, DeRozan, Tmac, Ray Allen

SFs 00s destroys 90s

Pippen, Mullen, old Nique, pre hurt Hill, Detlef, Worthy, Rice, Glen Robinson VS LBJ, KD, PG, Melo, Giannis, the Claw

PFs Slight advantage 00s

Malone, Barkley, Johnson, Oakley, Grant, Rodman, Kemp VS Timmy, KG, Dirk, Pao G, Pre hurt Bosh, AD,

Centers 90s destroys 00s

Akeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, Shaq, Vlade, Smits vs Shaq, Dwight, Boogie, Gobert,

Kat and Ayton could change that last part

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

Seriously? Don't even know who half those guys are. The guys I listed from the 80's and 90's practically defined the sport. Those are guys even people who never saw them play know who they are. I didn't even have to list a full name. You know who they are by one name.

And how tough is the NBA now that kids are coming right out of HS or only one year of college and starting?

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jordan....The first time I ever saw him take off from the free-throw line as an 18-year-old freshman at UNC and dunk the ball over Ralph Sampson, I was hooked as a fan.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    Jordan....The first time I ever saw him take off from the free-throw line as an 18-year-old freshman at UNC and dunk the ball over Ralph Sampson, I was hooked as a fan.

I have read, and kind of believe, that no BB player has truly dunked while taking off behind or on the FT line. Most often, they have a bit of their foot past the line. That's a 15' one legged long jump...kind of like from the triple jump. Some have come relatively close but I'd have to see actual game footage to believe it's been done. Kind of nit picky on my part, but I;m a myth debunker fan from way back.

• Options
    Lebron

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

Seriously? Don't even know who half those guys are. The guys I listed from the 80's and 90's practically defined the sport. Those are guys even people who never saw them play know who they are. I didn't even have to list a full name. You know who they are by one name.

And how tough is the NBA now that kids are coming right out of HS or only one year of college and starting?

You just came in with a list that included Kevin Mchale and are saying that the NBA players i posted are irrelevant. I didn’t have to put a full name for any of those players, i just did it for a couple. And straight to the pros from high school has been happening since Moses Malone in 1974

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

I have read, and kind of believe, that no BB player has truly dunked while taking off behind or on the FT line. Most often, they have a bit of their foot past the line. That's a 15' one legged long jump...kind of like from the triple jump. Some have come relatively close but I'd have to see actual game footage to believe it's been done. Kind of nit picky on my part, but I;m a myth debunker fan from way back.

I don't remember paying attention to whether or not he was exactly behind the line or not, but it was certainly long enough of a jump to make my jaw drop, being only 14 and a basketball player myself at that time. And it was over a guy...Sampson...who was what? 7-2? All I remember is, Jordan got a pass on a fast break, drove down, took off like a rocket, and dunked the ball over him. It was in the ACC tournament that year, if I remember correctly, and Jordan was at full speed when he took off on the jump.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

I don't remember paying attention to whether or not he was exactly behind the line or not, but it was certainly long enough of a jump to make my jaw drop, being only 14 and a basketball player myself at that time. And it was over a guy...Sampson...who was what? 7-2? All I remember is, Jordan got a pass on a fast break, drove down, took off like a rocket, and dunked the ball over him. It was in the ACC tournament that year, if I remember correctly, and Jordan was at full speed when he took off on the jump.

Sure didn't mean to "lessen" his achievement by any means. I admit I was being a nit picker. He's my favorite too and my choice for best ever.

• Options
    jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Jordan's heal was on the line so, no, it wasn't a true free throw dunk. BUT it sure was pretty. I used to have a poster of him mid-flight on that dunk. Looked like he was 10 feet in the air the entire way. AWESOME.

• Options
    Jordan

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

You just came in with a list that included Kevin Mchale and are saying that the NBA players i posted are irrelevant. I didn’t have to put a full name for any of those players, i just did it for a couple. And straight to the pros from high school has been happening since Moses Malone in 1974

Butting in here but Mchale is considered a top 5 PF in history of the game by other players. Barkley considers him the best for example.

I would say Duncan, K. Malone, M. Malone, Mchale, Barkley in that order.