Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Greatest basketball player of all time

Comments

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod
    Lebron

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:
    Here are the guys Jordan played against in the 80s and 90s

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

There is nothing like that the last 10 years in the NBA. The late 80’s to early 90’s were the heyday of the NBA.

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

Gimme the bottom list over the top

Seriously? Don't even know who half those guys are. The guys I listed from the 80's and 90's practically defined the sport. Those are guys even people who never saw them play know who they are. I didn't even have to list a full name. You know who they are by one name.

And how tough is the NBA now that kids are coming right out of HS or only one year of college and starting?

You just came in with a list that included Kevin Mchale and are saying that the NBA players i posted are irrelevant. I didn’t have to put a full name for any of those players, i just did it for a couple. And straight to the pros from high school has been happening since Moses Malone in 1974

Butting in here but Mchale is considered a top 5 PF in history of the game by other players. Barkley considers him the best for example.

I would say Duncan, K. Malone, M. Malone, Mchale, Barkley in that order.

Mchale also had an 8ft wingspan lol

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:
    Here are the guys Jordan played against in the 80s and 90s

Magic
    Bird
    Barkley
    Hakeem
    Dominique
    I. Thomas
    Malone
    Kareem
    McHale
    Laimbeer
    Shaq
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Kemp
    Mullen
    Mutombo
    Drexler
    Stockton
    Pippen
    Olajuwon

There is nothing like that the last 10 years in the NBA. The late 80’s to early 90’s were the heyday of the NBA.

I counter with
    Durant
    Duncan
    Iverson
    Tmac
    AD
    Curry
    Giannis
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Dwight
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Cp3
    Draymond green
    Klay Thompson
    Paul George
    Melo
    Derrick Rose
    Paul pierce
    Jason kid
    Steve Nash
    Dirk

Gimme the bottom list over the top

Seriously? Don't even know who half those guys are. The guys I listed from the 80's and 90's practically defined the sport. Those are guys even people who never saw them play know who they are. I didn't even have to list a full name. You know who they are by one name.

And how tough is the NBA now that kids are coming right out of HS or only one year of college and starting?

You just came in with a list that included Kevin Mchale and are saying that the NBA players i posted are irrelevant. I didn’t have to put a full name for any of those players, i just did it for a couple. And straight to the pros from high school has been happening since Moses Malone in 1974

Butting in here but Mchale is considered a top 5 PF in history of the game by other players. Barkley considers him the best for example.

I would say Duncan, K. Malone, M. Malone, Mchale, Barkley in that order.

I think Michael is a top 10 PF but I’d put KG, Dirk, Elgin Baylor and Hayes over Mchale.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Other

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    @judasdurant fun list, but you you might be a prisoner of the moment. Some of those guys haven’t proved anything yet. Every one on top list is HOF. Your list contains players that may not have endured the physicality of yesteryear’s game. Fun to debate though.

Tmac-never got out of 1st round
    AD-talented but injury prone and still young
    Giannis-too new too rate while talented
    Rose-flash in pan, injury prone
    Dwight-great defensive player, injury prone
    Melo-teams get better when he leaves

Dominique- injuries and barley made it out of 1st rd
    Laimbeer- is a joke dude averaged like 12 pts a game and basically was paid to take out players (not real defense)
    Kemp- too much cocaine
    Mutombo- only played defense

Nique had a glaring flaw, he wasn't a smart or even a willing passer.
    He was far too easy to defend when the ball went to him, a defense could triple team him and he still wouldn't pass to a open teammate.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Other

Just posting a laundry list of players sort of defeats the idea of a thread like this.
    Name your choice as best all time, 20 players can't all be #1.

• Options
    Other

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    @WCDawg
    But you will agree that talent overall has gotten extremely better. Three pointers being such a big part of the game nowadays. Rebound King? Sure.. GOAT? Doubtful.

I know 11 rings or something like that.

Watch the 11 second video I mentioned if you have doubts about his supreme athletic ability. He was the fastest and most agile big ever. That and he was hands down the smartest big defender ever.

Impressive, but wasn't that Michael J Fox (not wolf mode) guarding him?

It was one of the minor smurfs.

• Options
    KyotoPhantasyKyotoPhantasy Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jordan is the GOAT because he worked harder than anyone in history, even when he was the best, and he did not want to beat his opponent, he wanted to demoralize them. The story goes that he backed off and shouted, "Shoot it, you f ing midget" at Muggsy Bogues...and Bogues was never the same again. People in the NBA were scared of Jordan. Reggie Miller talked trash to Jordan one time in a preseason game and got lit up after that. Jordan went up to him after the game and told him something along the lines of "Don't talk to chocolate Jesus" and MIller says he never talked to Jordan again during a game. Jordan would have broken James (one of the greatest) when it counted.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Other

@WCDawg said:

Nique had a glaring flaw, he wasn't a smart or even a willing passer.
    He was far too easy to defend when the ball went to him, a defense could triple team him and he still wouldn't pass to a open teammate.

Sounds like you're probably just a frustrated Jon Koncak fan.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Just posting a laundry list of players sort of defeats the idea of a thread like this.

I posted a list of All-time great players who all played at the same time. Those are the guys Jordan dominated. There is nothing like that now. There are maybe 3-4 guys in that same category now...Lebron, Curry, Durrant...

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

LeBron is definitely number two though. I never will understand the people that think that he doesn’t belong in that top four. It’s pure hatred and (in my opinion) a result of media attention.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@amjadawgs said:
    I have to chime in on this one. If you are old enough to have seen Jordan in his prime, you would pick Jordan – no debate necessary. Scottie Pippen was a very good player in the Jordan era, but the key to that sentence is “in the Jordan era.” Jordan played with a lot of good but not great players around him. HE made those players relevant. His ability to put a team on his back, imo, is matched by NONE. The guy was amazing.

I agree LeBron is a great player, but doesn’t have the impact in a game, nor the impact of making other team members seem great anywhere close to the level Jordan did. JMO, of course.

Interesting to see your perspective, but it just doesn’t align with mine. Pippen was a great player. The year that Jordan was playing baseball, Pippen was in the running for MVP of the league. I also disagree with you saying that LeBron doesn’t make his team better. In my opinion, no one makes his team better than him. What separates them was Jordan’s clutch ability.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And didn’t even vote because he wasn’t listed....shame

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

I remember the 80's and hated the Hawks couldn't get past the Celtics. That said, I think those who romanticize the NBA of that era are mistaking the quality of the overall player with the growth of TV and media coverage of the sport. LeBron is physically at another level from any of the others listed. Jordan was a different kind of player and was a stone cold competitor. Kobe is the closest equivalent to Jordan I've seen.

• Options

@jarred_buck said:
    LeBron is definitely number two though. I never will understand the people that think that he doesn’t belong in that top four. It’s pure hatred and (in my opinion) a result of media attention.

I agree with that 100%

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

I posted a list of All-time great players who all played at the same time. Those are the guys Jordan dominated. There is nothing like that now. There are maybe 3-4 guys in that same category now...Lebron, Curry, Durrant...

wouldnt say jordan dominated the celtics or the pistons. and if you honestly would take kevin mchale over anthony davis then you dont know hoops man

• Options

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

wouldnt say jordan dominated the celtics or the pistons. and if you honestly would take kevin mchale over anthony davis then you dont know hoops man

Wasn’t saying every player on my list was better than every current player. Just saying there were a LOT more superstars back than than there are now.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

On pure talent, Wilt.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

Yeah I hear ya on that. It's not fun to watch anymore. Thank KD for that. But I guarantee this Warriors squad would demolish any Bulls team of your choice. Pippen was a huge part of Jordan's success. Look at Jordan's record without puppet.

As a kid I went to the Oakland Arena and watched some really bad basketball. Before Run TMC became a thing, the stars were guys like Sleepy Floyd, Jerome Whitehead, Joe Berry Carroll. The Warriors are famous for drafting Chris Washburn. They were likeable, but just stunk.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@jarred_buck said:

@amjadawgs said:
    I have to chime in on this one. If you are old enough to have seen Jordan in his prime, you would pick Jordan – no debate necessary. Scottie Pippen was a very good player in the Jordan era, but the key to that sentence is “in the Jordan era.” Jordan played with a lot of good but not great players around him. HE made those players relevant. His ability to put a team on his back, imo, is matched by NONE. The guy was amazing.

I agree LeBron is a great player, but doesn’t have the impact in a game, nor the impact of making other team members seem great anywhere close to the level Jordan did. JMO, of course.

Interesting to see your perspective, but it just doesn’t align with mine. Pippen was a great player. The year that Jordan was playing baseball, Pippen was in the running for MVP of the league. I also disagree with you saying that LeBron doesn’t make his team better. In my opinion, no one makes his team better than him. What separates them was Jordan’s clutch ability.

Very good to agree to disagree here. You could very well be correct. Here’s my point – detailed a little more than my original post. Pippen was great after Jordan left. I’m just not sue he would have been had Jordan not been there to help him reach that level. Also, what sold it for me was in the final playoff game James played at Cleveland – his first stint in Cleveland – even though he physically stayed in the game, he took himself out of every play the final few minutes when he was needed – just to see if that team could pull out a win. Jordan would have never done that. He would have said, “Climb on my back guys and let’s get this win.”

I did watch that game and even the commentators were asking “Where’s LeBron? He looks as if he just wants to see if his teammates can pull this one out.” James was on the very far corner of the offensive side of the court for several trips down the floor late in that game. I do respect your opinion though. This is just mine. I could be wrong obviously.