Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Koepka is exceptional talent. His power out of the rough is amazing.

• Options
    SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Brooks is simply better than everyone again this week. No one else will win because he’s ahead and the most talented golfer in the field.

It's so weird that he has just 3 wins and 2 of them are majors. Now he's in good shape to win his 3rd in 2 years.
    Jack has said many times for him majors were the easiest because most players didn't have the nerves for them, that meant he really only had to beat a few guys who had the stuff for them.
    Apparently this guy has found the stuff.

I remember Jack talking about that, he said he could walk around the practice area on Tuesday and Wednesday and check people off that he had to beat. It takes the right mindset for sure.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Good post. Tiger also introduced a new generation of kids to golf. His impact on youth involvement in golf can't be overstated.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

It’s not just the purses for the majors have increased dramatically. Purses for EVERY golf tournament have increased dramatically. I outlined earlier the number of golfers who now hit seven figures in golf winnings. This doesn’t include endorsements. I recall when it was a HUGE deal when Greg Norman earned one million in golf earnings AND $7 million in endorsements. The likes of Tiger and Phil hit $50+ million in endorsements annually. Tiger’s impact on golf is quite measurable and continues to be so. Numbers don’t lie. When he’s playing, viewership increases. Especially when he’s in contention. Will purses continue moving up even when Tiger is gone? Most likely. But it is in large part because of the impact he’s had.

As far as you comparing tennis purses to golf, there were a couple of dominant players who came along at a similar time to Tiger. Their names are Serena Williams and Roger Federer.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

It’s not just the purses for the majors have increased dramatically. Purses for EVERY golf tournament have increased dramatically. I outlined earlier the number of golfers who now hit seven figures in golf winnings. This doesn’t include endorsements. I recall when it was a HUGE deal when Greg Norman earned one million in golf earnings AND $7 million in endorsements. The likes of Tiger and Phil hit $50+ million in endorsements annually. Tiger’s impact on golf is quite measurable and continues to be so. Numbers don’t lie. When he’s playing, viewership increases. Especially when he’s in contention. Will purses continue moving up even when Tiger is gone? Most likely. But it is in large part because of the impact he’s had.

As far as you comparing tennis purses to golf, there were a couple of dominant players who came along at a similar time to Tiger. Their names are Serena Williams and Roger Federer.

I just showed you purses in tennis have increased at virtually the same rate as golf in the period just before Tiger came onto the scene till now. I'm absolutely sure this trend will hold up when looking at other major sports as well. It wasn't because of Tiger, it is just the economics of sports in general.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

I just showed you purses in tennis have increased at virtually the same rate as golf in the period just before Tiger came onto the scene till now. I'm absolutely sure this trend will hold up when looking at other major sports as well. It wasn't because of Tiger, it is just the economics of sports in general.

And I just told you that two star tennis players hit the tennis scene around the time Tiger hit the golf scene. It’s called correlation. Look it up.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Hmmm. I wonder who didn’t play in the 2017 PGA Championship?

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/releases/view?id=50733

Ratings up 54% from last year.

Edit to say - I’m guessing the ratings for today will be up compared to the final round of last year as well.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

And I just told you that two star tennis players hit the tennis scene around the time Tiger hit the golf scene. It’s called correlation. Look it up.

Stop with the nonsense.
    The increase in payouts for major sports has been across the board. It has everything to do with the proliferation of media, look it up.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Stop with the nonsense.
    The increase in payouts for major sports has been across the board. It has everything to do with the proliferation of media, look it up.

Media is a part of it, but there has to be something (somebody) worth watching (and advertisers to spend dollars on). You won’t find a single pro golfer who has been around since the 90’s who won’t say Tiger is the reason purses have increased the way they have.

When more people watch something, there is a higher cost for advertisers which means more money for the “athlete”. If that concept escapes you then I can’t help you.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

Edit to say - I’m guessing the ratings for today will be up compared to the final round of last year as well.

This is why the sport needs to promote THE SPORT, it's become little more that The Tiger show. That is not healthy long term.
    The NBA went through a period of adjustment when Jordan retired, but it has had huge revenue growth this century.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

This is why the sport needs to promote THE SPORT, it's become little more that The Tiger show. That is not healthy long term.
    The NBA went through a period of adjustment when Jordan retired, but it has had huge revenue growth this century.

It’s a wonder they’ve made it this far without your help.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

I bet you have a Tiger poster in your bedroom.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Stop with the nonsense.

Media is a part of it, but there has to be something (somebody) worth watching (and advertisers to spend dollars on). You won’t find a single pro golfer who has been around since the 90’s who won’t say Tiger is the reason purses have increased the way they have.

When more people watch something, there is a higher cost for advertisers which means more money for the “athlete”. If that concept escapes you then I can’t help you.

Of course golfers lavish praise on all things Tiger, it would be career suicide to do otherwise.
    I've shown to anybody with common sense that revenue increases in major sports has been across the board.
    If it wasn't Tiger the big bucks would have been distributed among a handful of other players.
    The personal indorsement money is different, that is specific to Tiger.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
    The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
    It's past time to promote the top players today.

Honestly, he's the only player I've ever been interested in golf. I haven't watched much recently obviously. When he's done I'm not sure I'll bother watching at all. Even the secondary guys aren't interesting anymore... I was interested in Vijay, Els, Phil and Sergio.

Everyone who's any good is kind of cookie cutter now. It's like your choices are all Jordan Speith or Jordan Spieth clones/wannabe's. And Speith is boring to begin with.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

I bet you have a Tiger poster in your bedroom.

Is your real name Richard Cranium?

I’m out man. Keep hating.

• Options

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

Honestly, he's the only player I've ever been interested in golf. I haven't watched much recently obviously. When he's done I'm not sure I'll bother watching at all. Even the secondary guys aren't interesting anymore... I was interested in Vijay, Els, Phil and Sergio.

Everyone who's any good is kind of cookie cutter now. It's like your choices are all Jordan Speith or Jordan Spieth clones/wannabe's. And Speith is boring to begin with.

You kinda prove the point that Tiger brings “casual” eyes to golf. Not that you have said otherwise. It also explains the increased ratings when he’s playing. Especially when he’s playing well. Certain people on the forum can’t seem to grasp that.

What made Tiger so unique is that he was dominant and a person of color in a sport that didn’t have many people of color. He was a once in a generation talent. Much like Michael Jordan was.

• Options

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

There are young players just as interesting as most of those guys. Phil being a possible exception, Lefty is an interesting dude with a daring game.
    There were predictions of stagnation in The NBA when MJ retired, but people got over their singular focus and the league has thrived.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

PLEASE. avoid WWII references!> @WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

There are young players just as interesting as most of those guys. Phil being a possible exception, Lefty is an interesting dude with a daring game.
    There were predictions of stagnation in The NBA when MJ retired, but people got over their singular focus and the league has thrived.

Not doubting you statement about thriving....but they are thriving w/o me. I can't really enjoy NBA games. I'll take a good college game anytime. At least they don't travel/carry the ball 83% of the time.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

You kinda prove the point that Tiger brings “casual” eyes to golf. Not that you have said otherwise. It also explains the increased ratings when he’s playing. Especially when he’s playing well. Certain people on the forum can’t seem to grasp that.

What made Tiger so unique is that he was dominant and a person of color in a sport that didn’t have many people of color. He was a once in a generation talent. Much like Michael Jordan was.

You can't seem to grasp the fundamentals.
    What part of across the board growth in revenues for major sports confuses you ?
    I've shown that this trend is not dependent on Tiger or any other single athlete. It's being driven by the proliferation of advertising dollars, tv money, milking more cash from live gates, etc.