Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Arguing with wcdawg is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind man. And yet I still try to do it from time to time

You're incorrect, as usual.
    Ever notice you always take an opposing view to me ?
    It's as if you feel a sense of duty to do so.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    Arguing with wcdawg is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind man. And yet I still try to do it from time to time

Not always. But when I do it’s usually correct. Arnold Palmer was fantastic for his era, but you really can’t compare him to what Tiger Woods did. You see it your way, and I see it the other.

When you’re disagreeing it seems you just double down on it and it get tiresome. Yet here I am disagreeing with you again and I’m sure you’ll have some snappy rebuttal for me

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just an add on to what I said earlier about Tiger bringing money to the PGA, the year he turned pro (not a full year), there were 9 golfers who exceeded $1 million in earnings. The following year, that number doubled to 18. The next year it went to 26. Then 36. There were 45 the next year (2000). Then 55, 61, 72, 77 - you get the picture. More than 100 guys have made more than $1 million each of the last few years.

How do earnings increase 5 fold in less than 5 years (mid-1996 to 2000)? Because a guy by the name of Tiger Woods hit the scene and brought hundreds of thousands of viewers. Along with that came millions upon millions of dollars in advertising revenue which increased the winnings of every player on tour.

People may think he’s done, and he may be. But he flashes enough of the old Tiger where if he can put 3 to 4 rounds of that together, he can still win. His best days are definitely behind him, but I still enjoy watching him play. I also enjoy watching Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Phil Mickelson and many others.

• Options
    britishdawgbritishdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

While he isn't as good now as he used to be, nobody can argue that Tiger isn't one of the greatest athletes of the past couple of decades. Is he the dominant player that he used to be? Of course not, but boy is he fun to watch and he's good for the game.

Some of the shots he pulled out at the Open the other week were incredible. You don't have to like him but the guy gets all that attention for a reason. He won 14 majors for goodness sake and he looks like he might have a couple more in him if the chips break right. If he does, it will be one of the great stories in sports and a lot of casual golf fans will love it, so you can hardly blame broadcasters for hoping that happens.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

Not always. But when I do it’s usually correct. Arnold Palmer was fantastic for his era, but you really can’t compare him to what Tiger Woods did. You see it your way, and I see it the other.

When you’re disagreeing it seems you just double down on it and it get tiresome. Yet here I am disagreeing with you again and I’m sure you’ll have some snappy rebuttal for me

You have zero historical perspective.
    Palmer and his agent pretty much invented the system of promoting athletes that Jordan and Tiger became super rich off of.
    There is no comparison, that much is true. Palmer was the highest earning athlete for decades, nobody has come close to his unique position of dominating celebrity athlete.
    Tiger had a piece of a bigger pie, but he was never THE single dominant force Palmer was.

• Options

A quick check shows Tiger's net worth at 740 million, Palmer's at 675 million.
    Since much of Arnold's earnings came in the 50s,60s and 70s it's probably like earning 3or 4 billion in today's market.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WCDawg it’s 1:52 and Tiger is making a move!! He’s -6 for tournament through two holes!!

• Options

“There’s no point in arguing with ignorant people. They have more experience than you.”

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Kasey said:
    “There’s no point in arguing with ignorant people. They have more experience than you.”

You're worse than ignorant, you're a troll.
    You look for posts of mine, then make it a point to get personal.

• Options

@NOVADAWG said:
    WCDawg it’s 1:52 and Tiger is making a move!! He’s -6 for tournament through two holes!!

Good for him, then he's THE best, right ?

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@NOVADAWG said:

I’ll take the bait... For over 10 years yes!!! Just curious did you ever play sports?

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

You're worse than ignorant, you're a troll.
    You look for posts of mine, then make it a point to get personal.

:*

• Options

@NOVADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:

@NOVADAWG said:

I’ll take the bait... For over 10 years yes!!! Just curious did you ever play sports?

Yes, are you a sports reporter ?

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Since much of Arnold's earnings came in the 50s,60s and 70s it's probably like earning 3or 4 billion in today's market.

My guess is that Arnold probably created more of his wealth from the 1970's on. This article indicates it might be 1990 and on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/09/26/arnold-palmer-earned-875-million-during-legendary-career-in-golf/#14b49f3a3e53

• Options

Yes, are you a sports reporter ?
    Not by any means. I am curious if you ever played a sport and got injured? Because I know i have and I fought like hell to get back to form, and not retire from it. Your remark about Tiger retiring is like saying he should just throw in towel and never play again. True athletes don’t hang it up because of injury. They rebuild and get back to business. Point in hand Nick Chubb!!

• Options
    BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tiger is on fire. If he only limited his bogeys he would easily be in the lead. No , he is nowhere close to retirement or a has been. Once every others golfer realizes he has his game back he will get in their heads like he did in the past. Thats when he excells and others fail.

• Options

@Bankwalker said:

@BigDawg747 said:
    Well, if your a top 20 player then you would have a 1 in 20 chance of winning a major. That's pretty dang good odds.

Pretty amusing. If the 20th ranked player had the same chance as the #1 then tournament wins would be spread evenly among the Top 20 players. Guess what?

Now thats amusing, according to this logic every golfer who held a number one ranking should have a major, just ask luke donald hhow that faired for him when he held that ranking for almost two years without a mojor. Guess what?

• Options

Uh oh tiger is 2 back

• Options

@BobcatGrad said:

@WCDawg said:

My guess is that Arnold probably created more of his wealth from the 1970's on. This article indicates it might be 1990 and on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/09/26/arnold-palmer-earned-875-million-during-legendary-career-in-golf/#14b49f3a3e53

Palmer was easily the most marketed athlete from the late 50s till MJ took over the top spot in the late 80s or early 90s.

• Options

Toger has the club twist going, he is bout to be unstoppable!