Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is Adam Sasser alleged to have shouted at Justin Fields ?

Comments

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just curious how many in here did something **** when they were in college? And most likely illegal??

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@Jesupdawg said:
    Just curious how many in here did something **** when they were in college? And most likely illegal??

I fess up but in no detail since it was over 36 years ago and I don’t want the FBI snooping.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:

I fess up but in no detail since it was over 36 years ago and I don’t want the FBI snooping.

Let them look for 1 week, that won't give them time to find anything.

• Options

@Jesupdawg said:

Lots of young people do bad things, many of them get tossed out of school and/or go to jail too.

• Options

@sauceddawg said:
    some of the opinions on racial issues shared by many on this board are problematic or at least tone deaf. It's a free country and im not one to throw stones, but as a fan remember that you should try and help the program, and that a larger percentage of players and recruits are black. just something to think about regarding our fan/media culture.

I don't see moral issues through a football lens, at least I try to separate the 2.

• Options

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:

Just don't run for a political office for the GOP and you will be fine hahahah

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You've gotta be sh'ing me! Jesus Christ.
    What a POS knuckle dragger. When ppl that have low IQs and values can't hold their alcohol...
    What a.... Nevermind. How low can you go with yourself? I heard he was dismissed. Hearing the reason makes me wanna ****

• Options

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156029887464141&set=a.10150354508459141&type=3

That’s funny idc who you are

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, we have some people on here that need to stay away from a keyboard and thank God you're anonymous. Good Lord.
    This thread should be nuked for some of the dumb ass comments. They're almost as bad as his. Hey... If you're a racist, or so dumb we can't tell the difference, please don't post here. Thanks!

• Options
    HuskerDawgHuskerDawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

He should have been taken out back in shot IMO... I honestly think everyone should be convicted based on alleged wrong doing. At least our society is consistent.

But on a real note, i wouldn't have said it(drunk or sober), nor do i think its a good idea for anyone to say it.. But FFS. I am sure he was hammered and being an idiot. Too bad that will reshape the rest of his life. I am glad I am not on trial for things i did/said in my teens.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nobody should use that word, ever. Nobody, white or black or any other race. There really isn’t another word in the English language that is so offensive, grotesque and mean-spirited. But the music industry seems to have no problem with it so it’s constantly thrown in people’s faces in the name of “keeping it real”. People like to sing along with songs, the guys are practically forcing people to use the word. That word is never going to go away if it is accepted in any form regardless of race or culture. People want to tear down Confederate statues...how about tearing down musicians who use the word in almost every song?

Just don’t use the word in any situation for any reason....ever.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:
    It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

I’m not over 45, but I just asked 2 people sitting here with me who are. Neither one of them has heard the word any more than in passing their entire lives just like me.

Well, until hip hop music got popular and some “artists” really didn’t care what they had to say to get attention and make money. But none of us listen to much hip hop music.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really think it’s about time to remove the uber-taboo around the n word and just consider it profanity like any other curse word.

Very few people will actually look at you and judge you based on skin color. Today’s racism is institutional, where for historic reasons some sociological groups are disadvantaged. It’s not because people personally care what your skin color is nearly so much any more.

• Options
    cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude said it,
    Got called out
    Kept saying it
    Got kicked
    Deserved it

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    Nobody should use that word, ever. Nobody, white or black or any other race. There really isn’t another word in the English language that is so offensive, grotesque and mean-spirited. But the music industry seems to have no problem with it so it’s constantly thrown in people’s faces in the name of “keeping it real”. People like to sing along with songs, the guys are practically forcing people to use the word. That word is never going to go away if it is accepted in any form regardless of race or culture. People want to tear down Confederate statues...how about tearing down musicians who use the word in almost every song?

You seem to be conflating to support your politics..

• Options
    LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@LakeDawg said:
    I think this thing with Sasser is probably a little over blown... Reading between the lines he said the n word as in "put my n in the game" and the girls took high offense. By no means would it ever be acceptable for him (or anyone) to be saying that in a public place not to mention someone representing UGA athletics, that can never happen and is inexcusable on many levels. In reality Sasser could have a friendship personally with Fields and could have said the exact same thing to Fields himself the night before playing Madden. All these athletes know each other and grew up playing with kids of all colors and backgrounds. And the statement sounds as if its original intent was not derogatory but these girls called him on it (rightfully so) and he begain to do what drunk 19-20 year old kids do... Showed his a$$. At this point the girls were furious and took it as a mission to show him even as a top UGA athlete you are not going to get away with acting like that. And I don't blame them... "Humble your self" young man! But for those that feel this is something to pull a young man's scholarship... That's a little too harsh a punishment for the crime. I do like the 100 hours of volunteer work. Something like that and on the athletic side... Run him till he pukes... Then run him some more... but hope the kid learns and is better for it! Just my 2¢! Wow that got long... Sorry!

Fair post, this bigger than this Sasser kid though. The intent doesn’t matter, the speculation on friendship doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if one understands the “culture” or not. What matters is those that find it offensive, we’re offended. Attempts to stop the behavior were ignored per reports, which exacerbated the offense. Can’t be so arrogant to offend someone and then proceed to tell them how they should feel about it. It was wrong and likely will cost this kid a ton. It’s bigger than Sasser because it’s naive to think that folks aren’t watching the response, especially black/African Americans. This kid is likely done at UGA and he can only blame himself.

You were correct and I understand the reason and appreciate the swiftness of UGA actions. Still hard for me to think this is worst than a DUI (he would still be on the team) where you actually put other people's lives at risk but this is 2018 and all the PC that comes with it. Hate it for the kid but hopefully he grows from it. And as your last statement says... "He can only blame himself". Before anyone says I'm insensitive or ignorant about the word please read my previous comments in this thread. Just my 2¢!

• Options

@levander said:
    I really think it’s about time to remove the uber-taboo around the n word and just consider it profanity like any other curse word.

Very few people will actually look at you and judge you based on skin color. Today’s racism is institutional, where for historic reasons some sociological groups are disadvantaged. It’s not because people personally care what your skin color is nearly so much any more.

I think there is far too much bad history associated with the word for it to become just another curse word in this century.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:
    It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

I’m not over 45, but I just asked 2 people sitting here with me who are. Neither one of them has heard the word any more than in passing their entire lives just like me.

Well, until hip hop music got popular and some “artists” really didn’t care what they had to say to get attention and make money. But none of us listen to much hip hop music.

If that's true they lived in a bubble as children.
    There is a movie named The Big Lift about The Berlin Air Lift that was filmed in Berlin just after the lift ended.
    It's remarkable in how it captured the moment and place in history.
    A German said his family was never NAZIs and he was drafted. An American soldier said back to him, ''it's funny, no Germans joined the military, everybody was drafted''. It was sarcasm of course. We have a lot of revisionist history too.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

People want to tear down symbols of racism. That word is probably the biggest symbol of racism in this country. Get rid of it entirely. That is all.

I lived in England for a while. One year my grandparents visited and we took a trip to Germany and a few other countries. My grandfather was in WWII. We were all at a bar in Germany and he was telling some locals about what a great trip he was having but all the different monies were confusing him. He pulled out some English pounds, French Francs and German whatever’s. When he pulled the German bills out he called it “Hitler Money”. He just about got kicked out of the place. The locals were VERY offended. The Germans are very sensitive about any references to Hitler. It is a taboo subject. I wish people here would be that sensitive about the N word.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

People want to tear down symbols of racism. That word is probably the biggest symbol of racism in this country. Get rid of it entirely. That is all.

I agree, but we can stop using the word AND remove symbols of The Confederacy, that's what I meant by conflating. It's not an either/or thing.