Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is Adam Sasser alleged to have shouted at Justin Fields ?

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GaK9s said:
    In this day and age of everyone quickly bringing up their phone to video everything, where's the video evidence? Not that they didn't have time if he was asked multiple times to stop. We are still innocent until proven guilty in America, aren't we?

Don't be a polock> @PerroGrande said:

@pgjackson said:

When I lived in Washington State and went to Wazzu...I did hear the N-word up there quite frequently. That was a huge culture shock because being raised in the south, I virtually never heard it.

I haven't lived in GA in a long time even though I was raised there, and I've lived about everywhere you can imagine since my UGA days. Georgia was one of the least prejudiced places I have been. Up north, they are careful to keep their racism in the closet, but when they pull it out you are in for a shock. Some other parts of the South did shock me, particularly a couple of states to the west. That was almost 40 years ago, though. But, if I had to pick a place to break down in a car it would be the South. Black, white, you name it, the people are just a lot nicer.

Honestly I find with many southerners who came up in the 50s and 60s the old prejudices are still there, they just are not on public display anymore.
    I've only lived out west and in Western Pa. outside of the south, Colorado didn't have enough blacks outside of Denver to really have to deal with race and Pa. was much like Georgia on the surface, which is as deep as I got with most locals.

I only met Philly natives in passing, but they are clearly an aggressive lot and I'm sure many are very tribal.

• Options

@ugaforever said:
    I know this is going to get me a lot of down votes. Has anyone looked into the possibility these girls might have heard it out of context, been a little tipsy themselves, or just flat out just wanted to cause a buzz on social media? We don't know what is what. Girl could be a woman scorned. Go ahead and go all PC on me. Sick of people crying. Make money, it fixes most things. If you are pissed, go punch the dude in the face. Fist fight, gun fight, I'm in. Bottom line is we all talk BS about other races. I got a joke, bet you do too.

There is no context that I can think of where a white man can repeatedly yell N*** in Sanford Stadium that would be at all appropriate ..unless he was in a play maybe.

• Options
    dawgfan301dawgfan301 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

It has no place period point blank. I’m a 43yo black man from Augusta. Spent over 10 yrs in the Army and never had to deal with it. My wife is white and we have two kids. I will break my foot off in my son’s behind if I heard him using it. I doesn’t matter what context he said it in. I live in Maryland now and see more racism up here then when growing up back home. Anyhow no excuses he was wrong. Sporting events is the one true place that brings all of us together. He won’t be looked at the same around campus that’s for sure. It’s gonna follow him for a long time. 😡. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My Aunt is 65, she's White, I'm Biracial. White and Native American. She works in a predominantly Black work place. They pick on her every day. She cries some nights when she gets home. So it goes both ways. Guess I'm lucky that I look White. If any race in this country has been S-h-i-t on it's Native Americans. So don't cry me a river.

• Options

@ugaforever said:
    My Aunt is 65, she's White, I'm Biracial. White and Native American. She works in a predominantly Black work place. They pick on her every day. She cries some nights when she gets home. So it goes both ways. Guess I'm lucky that I look White. If any race in this country has been S-h-i-t on it's Native Americans. So don't cry me a river.

So slavery, Jim Crow, that wasn't being $hit on ?
    Of course native Americans were treated as sub-human as well.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@ugaforever said:

Hush. Don't make me school you.

• Options

@ugaforever said:

@WCDawg said:

@ugaforever said:

I'm up fer a spat or 2 of book lernin.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@ugaforever said:

@WCDawg said:

@ugaforever said:

As were Irish and Italians when they first came to this country...and likely others I won't mention to avoid getting s h a t upon.

• Options

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:
    It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

Any news on how this is being handled by UGA admin?

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Sasser listens to rap music and has for a while, then it was poetic license, "From the A to the B to the C."

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:

Dismissed from the team, not sure if anything else yet.

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:

Wow that seems a little harsh for saying a word!!!! Yes he should be punished but dadgum if everyone got fired for a word many people would be out a job geez

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@Jesupdawg said:

@umooner said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:

Wow that seems a little harsh for saying a word!!!! Yes he should be punished but dadgum if everyone got fired for a word many people would be out a job geez

Uhh pretty much any good job would fire you if you used a racial slur in public/social media or anything else that brought clear negative attention to your company. > @BEACHDAWG said:

If Sasser listens to rap music and has for a while, then it was poetic license, "From the A to the B to the C."

So weird how many of y’all try to come up with every reason why white people should be able to use the word. Why do you care so much about it? It’s really not that hard to NOT use it, and clearly the vast majority of black people are offended by it when white people use it in any context. Stop worrying about if black people can say it or not and just stop saying it.

• Options
    browndawgbrowndawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sorry for the young man. Hopefully he learns from his actions. UGA acted swiftly and decisively which sends the message of zero tolerance which is the best for all.

• Options
    superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Not only that but I would think that going to a UGA Football Game in Athens you're about as likely to hear the N word as u r to hear Hot Dog, or Chili Fries no? "And if u don't like it we don't need your support anyway other than to continue to birth 4 and 5 star athletes and send them to Ole Georgia." I love the Georgia football team but as a Native Georgian I would think that this would be how disrespectful the Stanford Stadium crowd would b towards Black players, coaches and fans in general. Same Old Georgia.

Same ole troll

• Options
    icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2018

@browndawg said:
    Sorry for the young man. Hopefully he learns from his actions. UGA acted swiftly and decisively which sends the message of zero tolerance which is the best for all.

Browndawg, I am not sorry for Sasser because the report shows he intentionally continued with his statements after he was warned of how offensive it came across. Just think, all of this could have been avoided had he just listened and STOPPED the offensive act! The real tragedy is that we don't consider others in the midst of our failures; remorse only comes when our feet are held to the fire!

I too have made some bad choices while maturing and unfortunately my hindsight feelings were not sufficient. He will learn from this situation and become a better person just as I have grown into a better man.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:

Sasser has been dismissed from the baseball team.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@donm said:

@ugaforever said:

@WCDawg said:

@ugaforever said:

As were Irish and Italians when they first came to this country...and likely others I won't mention to avoid getting s h a t upon.

True, but neither Irish or Italians were enslaved or exterminated. Degrees ill treatment vary greatly.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

some of the opinions on racial issues shared by many on this board are problematic or at least tone deaf. It's a free country and im not one to throw stones, but as a fan remember that you should try and help the program, and that a larger percentage of players and recruits are black. just something to think about regarding our fan/media culture.