Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is Adam Sasser alleged to have shouted at Justin Fields ?

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:
    Nobody should use that word, ever. Nobody, white or black or any other race. There really isn’t another word in the English language that is so offensive, grotesque and mean-spirited. But the music industry seems to have no problem with it so it’s constantly thrown in people’s faces in the name of “keeping it real”. People like to sing along with songs, the guys are practically forcing people to use the word. That word is never going to go away if it is accepted in any form regardless of race or culture. People want to tear down Confederate statues...how about tearing down musicians who use the word in almost every song?

Just don’t use the word in any situation for any reason....ever.

You seem to be conflating to support your politics..

People want to tear down symbols of racism. That word is probably the biggest symbol of racism in this country. Get rid of it entirely. That is all.

I agree, but we can stop using the word AND remove symbols of The Confederacy, that's what I meant by conflating. It's not an either/or thing.

Gotcha’. But from what I saw, a lot of those people who were so offended by statues were very young and hip. Leads me to believe they probably listen to a lot of pop/rap music and probably hear the n-word countless times and think nothing of it. they probably didn’t even know those statues existed until they became a big deal...but I’ll bet they refuse to by an album that has been sanitized of **** racial language...meaning they prefer the full-language version.

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If true, what a POS

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LakeDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@LakeDawg said:
    I think this thing with Sasser is probably a little over blown... Reading between the lines he said the n word as in "put my n in the game" and the girls took high offense. By no means would it ever be acceptable for him (or anyone) to be saying that in a public place not to mention someone representing UGA athletics, that can never happen and is inexcusable on many levels. In reality Sasser could have a friendship personally with Fields and could have said the exact same thing to Fields himself the night before playing Madden. All these athletes know each other and grew up playing with kids of all colors and backgrounds. And the statement sounds as if its original intent was not derogatory but these girls called him on it (rightfully so) and he begain to do what drunk 19-20 year old kids do... Showed his a$$. At this point the girls were furious and took it as a mission to show him even as a top UGA athlete you are not going to get away with acting like that. And I don't blame them... "Humble your self" young man! But for those that feel this is something to pull a young man's scholarship... That's a little too harsh a punishment for the crime. I do like the 100 hours of volunteer work. Something like that and on the athletic side... Run him till he pukes... Then run him some more... but hope the kid learns and is better for it! Just my 2¢! Wow that got long... Sorry!

Fair post, this bigger than this Sasser kid though. The intent doesn’t matter, the speculation on friendship doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if one understands the “culture” or not. What matters is those that find it offensive, we’re offended. Attempts to stop the behavior were ignored per reports, which exacerbated the offense. Can’t be so arrogant to offend someone and then proceed to tell them how they should feel about it. It was wrong and likely will cost this kid a ton. It’s bigger than Sasser because it’s naive to think that folks aren’t watching the response, especially black/African Americans. This kid is likely done at UGA and he can only blame himself.

You were correct and I understand the reason and appreciate the swiftness of UGA actions. Still hard for me to think this is worst than a DUI (he would still be on the team) where you actually put other people's lives at risk but this is 2018 and all the PC that comes with it. Hate it for the kid but hopefully he grows from it. And as your last statement says... "He can only blame himself". Before anyone says I'm insensitive or ignorant about the word please read my previous comments in this thread. Just my 2¢!

Not trying to change your opinion but I’d encourage you step out of your culture to gain a better appreciation of how hurtful the word is from those who are offended, especially coming from someone who looks different. Talking about it with folks of same race and belief is pointless imo. I’m also not trying to debate what’s a greater offense...let’s just leave it as it’s all bad.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:
    Nobody should use that word, ever. Nobody, white or black or any other race. There really isn’t another word in the English language that is so offensive, grotesque and mean-spirited. But the music industry seems to have no problem with it so it’s constantly thrown in people’s faces in the name of “keeping it real”. People like to sing along with songs, the guys are practically forcing people to use the word. That word is never going to go away if it is accepted in any form regardless of race or culture. People want to tear down Confederate statues...how about tearing down musicians who use the word in almost every song?

People want to tear down symbols of racism. That word is probably the biggest symbol of racism in this country. Get rid of it entirely. That is all.

I agree, but we can stop using the word AND remove symbols of The Confederacy, that's what I meant by conflating. It's not an either/or thing.

Gotcha’. But from what I saw, a lot of those people who were so offended by statues were very young and hip. Leads me to believe they probably listen to a lot of pop/rap music and probably hear the n-word countless times and think nothing of it. they probably didn’t even know those statues existed until they became a big deal...but I’ll bet they refuse to by an album that has been sanitized of **** racial language...meaning they prefer the full-language version.

I guess the whole Confederate idolatry thing just never was MY thing.
    My roots are probably deeper than most southerners, We still have tin type photos and other artifacts from rebel ancestors.
    to me they were simply on the wrong side of history, I've never felt compelled to defend their culture or ideals.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:
    Just curious how many in here did something **** when they were in college? And most likely illegal??

I fess up but in no detail since it was over 36 years ago and I don’t want the FBI snooping.

Let them look for 1 week, that won't give them time to find anything.

Lol some of my potential witnesses have already left the planet. They are now very long distance calls!!

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:
    Just curious how many in here did something **** when they were in college? And most likely illegal??

I fess up but in no detail since it was over 36 years ago and I don’t want the FBI snooping.

Lol some of my potential witnesses have already left the planet. They are now very long distance calls!!

Are they in a corn field or a building foundation ?
    I can keep a secret.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Jesupdawg said:

Are they in a corn field or a building foundation ?
    I can keep a secret.

I might have to visit sister Renee and set up a seance to find them.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:
    It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

I’m not over 45, but I just asked 2 people sitting here with me who are. Neither one of them has heard the word any more than in passing their entire lives just like me.

Well, until hip hop music got popular and some “artists” really didn’t care what they had to say to get attention and make money. But none of us listen to much hip hop music.

If that's true they lived in a bubble as children.
    There is a movie named The Big Lift about The Berlin Air Lift that was filmed in Berlin just after the lift ended.
    It's remarkable in how it captured the moment and place in history.
    A German said his family was never NAZIs and he was drafted. An American soldier said back to him, ''it's funny, no Germans joined the military, everybody was drafted''. It was sarcasm of course. We have a lot of revisionist history too.

The World according to WCDawg, it’s pretty amazing how much you think you’re the authority in things.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

The Native American genocide was probably worse than slavery. Why not tear down symbols of America too?

The confederacy is a part of our history. Hiding it is not gonna help.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@mlee said:
    It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

If a person has spent their life in this country and they have an IQ above 60, they understand the implications of yelling that word.

My point is that if people would stop giving that word cause to hurt them then it would go away!

I doubt it, all of us over 45 who came up in the south have known people who used the word in place of a person's name.

I’m not over 45, but I just asked 2 people sitting here with me who are. Neither one of them has heard the word any more than in passing their entire lives just like me.

Well, until hip hop music got popular and some “artists” really didn’t care what they had to say to get attention and make money. But none of us listen to much hip hop music.

If that's true they lived in a bubble as children.
    There is a movie named The Big Lift about The Berlin Air Lift that was filmed in Berlin just after the lift ended.
    It's remarkable in how it captured the moment and place in history.
    A German said his family was never NAZIs and he was drafted. An American soldier said back to him, ''it's funny, no Germans joined the military, everybody was drafted''. It was sarcasm of course. We have a lot of revisionist history too.

The World according to WCDawg, it’s pretty amazing how much you think you’re the authority in things.

Thank you, I know you couldn't have lived in most towns in Georgia in the 60s, 70s or 80s without hearing that word used.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

The Native American genocide was probably worse than slavery. Why not tear down symbols of America too?

The NAZIs are part of German history, do we have statues to honor slavery ?
    The Confederacy was traitorous to my country and my ideas of right and wrong, I have no interest in romanticizing it.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

The Confederacy was traitorous to my country and my ideas of right and wrong, I have no interest in romanticizing it.

The Nazi movement over here was no ever anything more than a few fringe freaks. I have no idea why you would want to honor a movement in another country.

You clearly have no understanding of history if you think the traitorous issue is somehow cut and dry. At the time it was a controversy as to whether or not states should be able to secede. Some people thought they should be able to secede, others thought they shouldn’t be able to. And it wasn’t just southerners who thought they should be able to. The North never would have won the Civil War if it would have required nearly the percentage of resources that was required of the South. The North didn’t consider the dispute nearly as important as the South did.

You’re basically using the knowledge that is taught to fifth graders as they are being indoctrinated into our system in school. And using that as the factual basis to form a very strong, bigoted opinoin on.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

The Nazi movement over here was no ever anything more than a few fringe freaks. I have no idea why you would want to honor a movement in another country.

You clearly have no understanding of history if you think the traitorous issue is somehow cut and dry. At the time it was a controversy as to whether or not states should be able to secede. Some people thought they should be able to secede, others thought they shouldn’t be able to. And it wasn’t just southerners who thought they should be able to. The North never would have won the Civil War if it would have required nearly the percentage of resources that was required of the South. The North didn’t consider the dispute nearly as important as the South did.

You’re basically using the knowledge that is taught to fifth graders as they are being indoctrinated into our system in school. And using that as the factual basis to form a very strong, bigoted opinoin on.

I've been over this many times.
    I have no use for The Confederacy's legacy other than to say it was a vile failure.
    There's no convoluted case you can make that I haven't seen many times.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

I have no use for The Confederacy's legacy other than to say it was a vile failure.

You pretty much just proved my point about bigoted.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

You really have no idea how you just parrot ignorant myths that have been passed down to southerners since Reconstruction, it's not knowledge, it's perverse and backward ideology.
    I'll leave it at that, you're probably incapable of more.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

You really have no idea how you just parrot ignorant myths that have been passed down to southerners since Reconstruction, it's not knowledge, it's perverse and backward ideology.

The guy who got The Civil War most right to me was Ken Burns. A guy lauded by you liberals and is the flagship director of you guy’s most vaunted media outlet, PBS. If you want to actually know anything about the history of the war, you should watch his documentary series on it. It’s very easy to watch. It was a popular hit back when it was first released back in the late 80’s/early 90’s (can’t remember exactly).

Nothing I’ve said above goes anything outside of what he said about the war. And I really just scratch at the surface.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

The guy who got The Civil War most right to me was Ken Burns. A guy lauded by you liberals and is the flagship director of you guy’s most vaunted media outlet, PBS. If you want to actually know anything about the history of the war, you should watch his documentary series on it. It’s very easy to watch. It was a popular hit back when it was first released back in the late 80’s/early 90’s (can’t remember exactly).

Nothing I’ve said above goes anything outside of what he said about the war. And I really just scratch at the surface.

''you liberals'' the fact you equate my not embracing an institution that had a foundation build on human ownership and was traitorous to MY country as being liberal pretty much says it all.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Civil War was not "treasonous" because at the time the "States" were actually independent countries with their own individual governments united under a federal government for the common defense...a lot like the modern EU. The southern states assumed they had the right to leave (and a lot of northerners agreed). They weren't trying to overthrow and replace the federal government, they just wanted to leave and do their own thing. Lincoln was under tremendous pressure by northern politicians to just let them go, but thankfully he saw it another way. It's also partly why Lincoln make sure that confederate soldiers received full U.S. status after the war. It's also why there are so many Confederate statues in the south...they are technically heroes of an American war, not a rebellious uprising.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

''you liberals'' the fact you equate my not embracing an institution that had a foundation build on human ownership and was traitorous to MY country as being liberal pretty much says it all.

You’re so confused at trying to come up with a sensible perspective at this point that you’re making things up out of thin air. No where did I claim you are a liberal because you are against slavery or because you have taken a short sighted opinoin on a historical event a hundred and fifty years ago. I called you a liberal because you’ve made it very clear on the board in the past that you are a liberal.

And I didn’t call you a liberal as an insult. I was trying to point out I was giving you a resource ensconced in your political philosophies that you could actually learn something from.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

You’re so confused at trying to come up with a sensible perspective at this point that you’re making things up out of thin air. No where did I claim you are a liberal because you are against slavery or because you have taken a short sighted opinoin on a historical event a hundred and fifty years ago. I called you a liberal because you’ve made it very clear on the board in the past that you are a liberal.

And I didn’t call you a liberal as an insult. I was trying to point out I was giving you a resource ensconced in your political philosophies that you could actually learn something from.

blah, blah, blah
    You're a dead end thinker.