Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just saw Instagram post with Jake From and apparent girlfriend. Can’t help but wonder if great town of Athens and all it has to offer (including potential girlfriends) has distracted Jake and got him a bit off his game this year. This might seem a little far fetched initially but we all know how women can get us off our game (especially in the beginning dating phase). This may not make a difference for an O-Lineman but with QB position being so cerebral and Jake being a qb that so heavily relies on that as opposed to his athleticism, I think this is a true possibility. Thoughts?

Comments

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could just be that there’s some truth to the notion of a sophomore slump. Or it could be in our heads.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mattmd2 said:
    Could just be that there’s some truth to the notion of a sophomore slump. Or it could be in our heads.

His downfield passing numbers and how long he holds on to the ball are facts and are worse than last season. Other descriptive terms like ''tentative'' are subjective, but observable.
    I think there have been regressions in important areas and I think it's about coaching errors.
    Changing QB and WR coaches, making every day a fight for survival, etc are not nurturing moves.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If their has been any regression and I am not sure there is. I would blame it on the loss of Wims and no receiver stepping up to fill his place along with Godwin's injury. before the start of the season I had hopes that Matt Landers or Tommy Bush Jr. would fill the role of a big receiver.

@oldon42 said:
    If their has been any regression and I am not sure there is. I would blame it on the loss of Wims and no receiver stepping up to fill his place along with Godwin's injury. before the start of the season I had hopes that Matt Landers or Tommy Bush Jr. would fill the role of a big receiver.

I think we have TEs who can do 90% of what Wims gave us.
    Losing him doesn't account for most of what is going on.
    COACHING changes are where the lines intersect.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Guess Jake needs to be celibate until he moves on......reaching for excuses for a bad game.......blame it on the girl

@dawgnms said:
    Guess Jake needs to be celibate until he moves on......reaching for excuses for a bad game.......blame it on the girl

Jake has been THE man in his somewhat privileged world for a long time. He hasn't lost perspective all of a sudden.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think Jake has regressed. He has a lot more to deal with this year over last. Not every QB goes through the sophomore jinx, but there is something to it. Jake is dealing with timing different receivers, zoned in and disguised defenses, more of the offensive playbook and an OL with too many freshmen on it.

This is not a coaching problem or a distraction problem. There are a lot of other variables that are impacting his overall performance.

@JayDog said:
    I don't think Jake has regressed. He has a lot more to deal with this year over last. Not every QB goes through the sophomore jinx, but there is something to it. Jake is dealing with timing different receivers, zoned in and disguised defenses, more of the offensive playbook and an OL with too many freshmen on it.

This is not a coaching problem or a distraction problem. There are a lot of other variables that are impacting his overall performance.

I disagree, I think coaching changes and Kirby's approach to the QB competition has at best caused short term problems.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake's performance against LSU has nothing to do with Athens or women and everything to do with Justin Fields. Game reps are critically important to a QB. When you're being pulled in the middle of a drives, not playing for long stretches during the game or not playing in the 4th Qtr., it's very difficult to establish a rhythm.

edited October 2018

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    Good looking, charismatic young man who is the starting QB for a major college football program...think I’d be more concerned if he DIDN’T have a girlfriend.

He had a bad game. From some of the things Kirby’s said during the week, sounds like some of the receivers did too (running wrong routes, etc.). It was a bad game, from start to finish, in all aspects. There are some personnel issues that aren’t going away (D-line), but I’ve come to believe that this was just a bad game.

The regression is the entire advanced areas of the passing game, and started long before The LSU game,it's both QBs and receivers. A lack of communication, wrong routes, poor timing, etc,etc. I keep coming back to the 2 critical coaching reassignments and how both QBs are being handled.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    Good looking, charismatic young man who is the starting QB for a major college football program...think I’d be more concerned if he DIDN’T have a girlfriend.

He had a bad game. From some of the things Kirby’s said during the week, sounds like some of the receivers did too (running wrong routes, etc.). It was a bad game, from start to finish, in all aspects. There are some personnel issues that aren’t going away (D-line), but I’ve come to believe that this was just a bad game.

The regression is the entire advanced areas of the passing game, and started long before The LSU game,it's both QBs and receivers. A lack of communication, wrong routes, poor timing, etc,etc. I keep coming back to the 2 critical coaching reassignments and how both QBs are being handled.

The thing is you don't know how those QB's are being handled in practice. Without that context, you can't know how well the coaches are doing with them. Without that context, you can't credibly judge coaching decisions in game. The performance issues are affected by too many variables that don't relate to coaching. One play it might be the OL. Another it might be a wrong route. Coaches might be part of it--but there is plenty of blame to go around.

@JayDog said:

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

The thing is you don't know how those QB's are being handled in practice. Without that context, you can't know how well the coaches are doing with them. Without that context, you can't credibly judge coaching decisions in game. The performance issues are affected by too many variables that don't relate to coaching. One play it might be the OL. Another it might be a wrong route. Coaches might be part of it--but there is plenty of blame to go around.

I can see, hear and read.
    Something is clearly not what it should be, I think my ideas on why are sound.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

The coaching change could definitely be a factor, as you point out. One easy fix IMO is to get Coley out of the booth. Kirby does NOT need him up there. As the QB coach Coley needs to be on the field talking his guys after each series and coaching them up or calming them down. He can't look at the whites of their eyes from up in the booth. This seems so elementary to me!

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Griff has made the best guess so far, Just too **** many receivers on the UGA roster. And from listening to Kirby, as many as possible are getting reps. So Jake’s not getting to practice with a core group of receivers enough to develop chemistry and comfort with them. There’s no knowing what the guy is gonna do just before he does it. And somresults have suffered.

If you rewatch the LSU game, it wasn’t just Jake having an off day. There were a lot of dropped passes too. Kirby made a comment that there were a lot of routes run by receivers that were just incorrect,

Something is off with the entire passing game. Not just Jake.

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

The coaching change could definitely be a factor, as you point out. One easy fix IMO is to get Coley out of the booth. Kirby does NOT need him up there. As the QB coach Coley needs to be on the field talking his guys after each series and coaching them up or calming them down. He can't look at the whites of their eyes from up in the booth. This seems so elementary to me!

I think since we have the formula from last season still on staff, move Chaney back to coaching QBs and put Coley back where he got good results, coaching WRs. Putting Hankton with TEs wouldn't be a big deal, it's probably the least important coaching position other than maybe RBs.