Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

12346»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    For all that is Holy @WCDawg please stop with the Chaney needs to be moved back to QB coach. You’re starting to turn into @nycdawg. I’m willing to bet you’ve said it several hundred times in the last 2 weeks, CKS isn’t going to listen to you. You wanna talk about performance expectations or the reason why Fromm has regressed or isn’t comfortable, fine. But stop with the Chaney needs to be QB coach, you have one season of play that you’re basing that on and it’s not enough.

Fromm was ready to take the Field against ND his 2nd game his freshman year

It was obvious that even after Fromms horrible performance against LSU that the coaches did not think that Fields was ready to come in and lead the team or we would have seen that

Now if Fields is not ready mid way though a season then why not? Who is the person preparing him?

You don’t make coaching changes this far into the season. It will only make things worse

I think having had Chaney as the QB coach last year and Coley having been the WR coach a switch back wouldn't be an issue. I believe it would stand a good chance of helping Fromm right away.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

@WCDawg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    For all that is Holy @WCDawg please stop with the Chaney needs to be moved back to QB coach. You’re starting to turn into @nycdawg. I’m willing to bet you’ve said it several hundred times in the last 2 weeks, CKS isn’t going to listen to you. You wanna talk about performance expectations or the reason why Fromm has regressed or isn’t comfortable, fine. But stop with the Chaney needs to be QB coach, you have one season of play that you’re basing that on and it’s not enough.

It was obvious that even after Fromms horrible performance against LSU that the coaches did not think that Fields was ready to come in and lead the team or we would have seen that

Now if Fields is not ready mid way though a season then why not? Who is the person preparing him?

You don’t make coaching changes this far into the season. It will only make things worse

I think having had Chaney as the QB coach last year and Coley having been the WR coach a switch back wouldn't be an issue. I believe it would stand a good chance of helping Fromm right away.

Welllllll.......I think you should start a thread on it

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps the problem is no Wims and Terry Godwin was hurt at the start of the season.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:
    Senior talent surrounded Fromm last year made it easy for him......Now is the time to make this team HIS team......if he doesn't this Saturday it will be time for a change

Not doubting that

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

He has, don’t encourage him

• Options
    edited October 2018

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@dawgnms said:
    Senior talent surrounded Fromm last year made it easy for him......Now is the time to make this team HIS team......if he doesn't this Saturday it will be time for a change

Not doubting that

He has to step up, put the team on his back and show he is the man. He has not done that...... sophmore jinx is bull s h I t.......coaching change is bull s h I t......make or break time imho is in Jax......time for him to emerge from the shadow of senior talent that was last year's team and show not only DawgNation but more important his team and himself that he is the leader now and in the future......

• Options

@bigdawg2223 said:

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

He has, don’t encourage him

I know he has but I thought a second might help him drive his point home again and again and again and again and again and aga........doh

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Fromm had a terrible game against LSU, that is no doubt

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

So you say having him competing for the Heisman this year and he certainly is not how can that not be "regression"

I expected him to progress to the point of competing for the heisman this year. He did not progress to that point but has not regressed

Again he may have not progressed as much as some of us thought he would have but calling what he has done this year a regresssion is laughable (other than LSU, that was a regression) so if you want to base the entire point on the LSU game and not his season thus far then yes he regressed

Is there such a thing as a single game regression? If so, what is the difference between that and a "bad game". Seem sort of the same for me. Doesn't seem to add much to use the word regression. I'm certainly fine with saying "he had a bad game" and leave it at that. The power of words is amazing. If the word regression wasn't used in the title of the thread, I doubt there would have been much argument. Almost all, I think, would agree Jake didn't have his usual good/great game.

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

I feel overdue, it's been several hours since my last one.

• Options

@donm said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Fromm had a terrible game against LSU, that is no doubt

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

So you say having him competing for the Heisman this year and he certainly is not how can that not be "regression"

I expected him to progress to the point of competing for the heisman this year. He did not progress to that point but has not regressed

Again he may have not progressed as much as some of us thought he would have but calling what he has done this year a regresssion is laughable (other than LSU, that was a regression) so if you want to base the entire point on the LSU game and not his season thus far then yes he regressed

Is there such a thing as a single game regression? If so, what is the difference between that and a "bad game". Seem sort of the same for me. Doesn't seem to add much to use the word regression. I'm certainly fine with saying "he had a bad game" and leave it at that. The power of words is amazing. If the word regression wasn't used in the title of the thread, I doubt there would have been much argument. Almost all, I think, would agree Jake didn't have his usual good/great game.

I think a ''regression'' myself and others had posted about for weeks led to a ''bad game'' where his ongoing issues were exposed by Xs and Os and Jimmys and Joes.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@levander said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

Not saying to make a coaching change mid season

The OP was asking for a reason for regression. Regardless of agreeing if it’s a regression or lack of optimal progression my answer stays the same.... that the person preparing and coaching that player may be be the answer to the OP

Holy Cow! Did someone finally just buy into WCDawg’s QB coaching switcheroo being the problem??!

Well done, WC! You fought hard to start getting some traction.

How long until the dam breaks?

It was obvious Fields was not ready to lead the team or the coaches would have put him in against LSU as bad as Fromm was doing

Some think Fromm was regressed, stalled, or not progressed very much from last year

With those two things the only logical answer is that the person in charge of coaching and developing that player may be at fault

It’s a completely valid argument. I’m not trying to imply it’s illegitimate by any means.

I just make fun because WC has made the point so many times, it!s like he’s running for political office. And his campaign strategy is dependent upon convincing 51% of the board that this is the issue causing homelessness and joblessness in our communities.

And then in typical policitician fashion, he’s gonna get into office and not even bother to try to fix the problem. Just use the time in office to write his croney boyfriends sweetheart government contracts. And four years from now he’ll be all over the board blaming the other party for not letting him fix anything.

• Options
    striker42striker42 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One area that Fromm has been notably worse (and the stats bear this out) is in the deep passing game. He's not hitting nearly as many big plays downfield and when he tries he's not as successful. I think a lot of regression talk comes from this.

However, I wouldn't pin that all on Fromm. I think the step down from Chubb/Michel to Swift/Holyfield paired with Chaney's tendency to neglect the power run game has really hurt the effectiveness of play action. When Fromm faked the handoff up the middle to Chubb last year you'd have safeties biting on it every time. That often left Wims wide open downfield for an easy pitch and catch.

This year you don't have defenses nearly as concerned with the run game. That means when we do go play action, defenses aren't biting nearly as hard. This makes for fewer wide open, easy big plays.

I also think the inability to establish the play action threat has stunted Fromm's ability to build chemistry with a WR like he had with Wims. So when we do have plays where a WR is wide open, Fromm isn't seeing it or isn't as crisp.

I really think so many problems in our passing game could be solved with Chaney realizing he's playing in the SEC and that power running between the tackles is how you win.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@dawgnms said:

Not doubting that

He has to step up, put the team on his back and show he is the man. He has not done that...... sophmore jinx is bull s h I t.......coaching change is bull s h I t......make or break time imho is in Jax......time for him to emerge from the shadow of senior talent that was last year's team and show not only DawgNation but more important his team and himself that he is the leader now and in the future......

Finally somebody speaking some LOGIC! Bravo B)