Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What Sports Records Will Likely Never Be Broken In Our Lifetimes

Comments

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2019

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Let's assume our average age is 30 and that we will live, on average to 90. What records might stand during that period?

Baseball: 56 consecutive game hitting streak? Total career wins for a pitcher? Most wins in a season?

College FB? Consecutive game win streak?

College Basketball? Consecutive game win streak? UCLA men? U Conn women?

Pro Basketball? Most wins in a season?

Other sports you may follow?

Cy Young's wins total.
    NFL -Jerry Rice's tds and career receiving yards.
    Not a record but we may never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Pitchers throw too hard and too few innings. Starting pitchers need to wake up, they are being abused now.

With as much passing as we see now, I could see Rice's numbers falling easily. He may be out of the top 5 by the time I die(I'm 28)

Nothing is impossible, but I really doubt it. Rice had two HOF qbs throwing to him plus he is arguably the greatest nfl player of all time. Just for makes a nasty and highly unlikely repeatable combination. Especially yardage, he's like 6 SEASONS worth of elite level reception yardage above the next guy. Thats twice as long as the average nfl career.

Receiving yardage
    1 Jerry Rice+ 22,895 1985-2004 3TM
    2 Larry Fitzgerald 16,279 2004-2018 crd
    3 Terrell Owens+ 15,934 1996-2010 5TM
    4 Randy Moss+ 15,292 1998-2012 5TM
    5 Isaac Bruce 15,208 1994-2009 2TM

Touchdowns
    1 Jerry Rice+ 208 1985-2004 3TM
    2 Emmitt Smith+ 175 1990-2004 2TM
    3 LaDainian Tomlinson+ 162 2001-2011 2TM
    4 Randy Moss+ 157 1998-2012 5TM
    5 Terrell Owens+ 156 1996-2010 5TM

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Joe D's 56 game hitting streak and like others have said Ripken's streak

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Nolan Ryan’s 5714 career strikeouts. No one else comes close.

Yep. Second place on the list is this guy you might have heard of, Randy Johnson, and he is barely within 1,000! That’s insane!!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@DawgNut said:

@AnotherDawg said:

Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

How in the hell did he pitch 749 complete games and only win 511. That stat just seems odd.

Once upon a time, starting pitchers were expected to pitch the whole game. I'm sure Cy Young lost plenty of games 1-0, 2-1, etc. For a modern example see Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, Braves vs. Twins, Smoltz vs. Morris.

Going slightly further back, Braves HOF'er Warren Spahn faced Juan Marichal in a game many believe to be the greatest pitching duel in history. Spahn and Marichal both went the distance, 16 innings, and the Giants won the game 1-0 on a walk-off HR by Willie Mays.

Here's an article about that game. Well worth a read if you're a baseball fan.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-greatest-pitching-duel-in-human-history/

In the foot notes you'll see that Spahn pitched four 14+ inning games in his career and had a 1-3 record to show for it, despite allowing only 6 runs in 60 innings. (That helps explain Cy Young's numbers.)

• UGAdawg2006UGAdawg2006 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

Braves 14 consecutive division titles. With how teams are constructed and dismantled these days, I don’t see that happening again.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@UGAdawg2006 said:
    Braves 14 consecutive division titles. With how teams are constructed and dismantled these days, I don’t see that happening again.

That one should have an asterisk. No way the Expos weren’t taking that one in 1994

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ftn49 said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:
    Let's assume our average age is 30 and that we will live, on average to 90. What records might stand during that period?

Baseball: 56 consecutive game hitting streak? Total career wins for a pitcher? Most wins in a season?

Cy Young's wins total.
    Not a record but we may never see another 300 game winner in MLB. Pitchers throw too hard and too few innings. Starting pitchers need to wake up, they are being abused now.

With as much passing as we see now, I could see Rice's numbers falling easily. He may be out of the top 5 by the time I die(I'm 28)

Nothing is impossible, but I really doubt it. Rice had two HOF qbs throwing to him plus he is arguably the greatest nfl player of all time. Just for makes a nasty and highly unlikely repeatable combination. Especially yardage, he's like 6 SEASONS worth of elite level reception yardage above the next guy. Thats twice as long as the average nfl career.

Receiving yardage
    1 Jerry Rice+ 22,895 1985-2004 3TM
    2 Larry Fitzgerald 16,279 2004-2018 crd
    3 Terrell Owens+ 15,934 1996-2010 5TM
    4 Randy Moss+ 15,292 1998-2012 5TM
    5 Isaac Bruce 15,208 1994-2009 2TM

Touchdowns
    1 Jerry Rice+ 208 1985-2004 3TM
    2 Emmitt Smith+ 175 1990-2004 2TM
    3 LaDainian Tomlinson+ 162 2001-2011 2TM
    4 Randy Moss+ 157 1998-2012 5TM
    5 Terrell Owens+ 156 1996-2010 5TM

I'm just saying with the emphasis on passing and the inability for defenders to play defense anymore, it isn't unthinkable for a few guys to pass him.

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Barry Sanders' stats OK State.

He had 2,628 yards rushing and 3,248 total yards in one season.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

Cy Young's wins total.

It's not a safe record based on NFL trends, but Rice was extraordinarily durable and consistent. Sort of like Gretzky's records in that way.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the question was what is the single most unbreakable record on the books, that is easy, Cy Young's career wins. We may never see another 300 game winner, let alone 500 plus wins.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    Baseball - pitcher Wins, stolen bases,
    Hockey - Most of Gretzky's records
    Rick Pitino - sleaziness

You could throw a rock at a Baylor coaching reunion and have a good chance of hitting a coach who'd give Pigtino a run in the **** dept.

@VaBeachDawg said:

@christopherules said:
    Nolan Ryan’s 5714 career strikeouts. No one else comes close.

Yep. Second place on the list is this guy you might have heard of, Randy Johnson, and he is barely within 1,000! That’s insane!!

Randy Johnson would have had a real chance at it, but he didn't figure things out until he was almost 30

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Columbo said:
    Mark Martin's NASCAR Record of 188.354 Average Speed at Talladega in 1997 will never be broken. It is the fastest track on the circuit and there were no cautions that day. Now that there are two automatic cautions with the new format, there is no way the record can be broken. Even if they do away with the current three stages and went back to the old format, the chances of a caution free race at a Super Speedway are very slim.

Ripken and Cy Young records will also never be broken.

Awesome Bill qualifying at 212 mph at Talladega. Also came from 2 laps down to win and that’s before the lucky dog stuff.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Columbo said:
    Mark Martin's NASCAR Record of 188.354 Average Speed at Talladega in 1997 will never be broken. It is the fastest track on the circuit and there were no cautions that day. Now that there are two automatic cautions with the new format, there is no way the record can be broken. Even if they do away with the current three stages and went back to the old format, the chances of a caution free race at a Super Speedway are very slim.

Ripken and Cy Young records will also never be broken.

Bill Elliot's record qualifying time at Talladega in 1987....212.809 MPH. That'll never happen again because of restrictor plates. That qualifying time and Bobby Allison's horrific wreck there during the same weekend are the reasons we have restrictor plates today. Allison took out 100 yards of the catch fence while going airborne at over 200 MPH in front of the main grandstands.

In college football, I don't think you'll ever see a RB have over 900 carries in a 3-year career like Herschel Walker did, or see him put up the nearly 5300 yards rushing again in 3 years, either. I don't think you'll see a 47-game winning streak in college football again or see a home winning streak like Miami's 58 games from 1985-1994. And although I hate to mention it....GT winning 222-0 over Cumberland.

Among the records I don't think you'll see broken in the NFL are Derrick Thomas' 7 sacks in one game, Otto Graham's 10 straight championship games, Favre's consecutive games played streak, and....although it's been close on occasion, the Dolphins' perfect season in 1972.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:

@DawgNut said:

@AnotherDawg said:

Cy Young's 511 career wins (and 749 complete games as noted above), along with Hoss Radbourn's 59 wins in a season. (I'm not sure anyone will win even 30 games again- Denny McLain was the last to do it and that was 50 years ago.)

How in the hell did he pitch 749 complete games and only win 511. That stat just seems odd.

Once upon a time, starting pitchers were expected to pitch the whole game. I'm sure Cy Young lost plenty of games 1-0, 2-1, etc. For a modern example see Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, Braves vs. Twins, Smoltz vs. Morris.

Going slightly further back, Braves HOF'er Warren Spahn faced Juan Marichal in a game many believe to be the greatest pitching duel in history. Spahn and Marichal both went the distance, 16 innings, and the Giants won the game 1-0 on a walk-off HR by Willie Mays.

Here's an article about that game. Well worth a read if you're a baseball fan.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-greatest-pitching-duel-in-human-history/

In the foot notes you'll see that Spahn pitched four 14+ inning games in his career and had a 1-3 record to show for it, despite allowing only 6 runs in 60 innings. (That helps explain Cy Young's numbers.)

Those were the days. The game doesn't even look the same anymore. However, I still get a thrill walking into a MLB park a couple of hours before the game and seeing the beauty and symmetry of the field. Just love it.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

58 carries in a single game, rb at Kansas

• DawginCODawginCO Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no-hitters in 1938. To beat the record, someone would have to throw three consecutive no-hitters.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    58 carries in a single game, rb at Kansas

Tony Sands...58 carries, 396 yards vs. Missouri. Nov. 23rd, 1991. Kansas won, 52-29. He also had 4 TDs that game.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as we hate Tech, the 222-0 will never happen again

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:
    As much as we hate Tech, the 222-0 will never happen again

And that needs an asterisk because it was borderline staged. Cumberland had disbanded their football team, but had to put together a volunteer team due to a contractual obligation.