Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Kirb is going to love this. Mets closer Edwin Diaz has a 4.95 ERA and I want to trade for him. What's more he's pitched great this season.

He has given up 16 earned runs over 4 appearances and just 3 total innings.

The other 36 innings over 41 appearances he has given up just 6 earned runs for a 1.50 ERA. He has been dominant over his career and just 3 innings has skewed his ERA, he is still dominant other than those anomalies. Heck he gave up 13 of those earned runs while going 0.1 inning each appearance, that's a total 1.0 inning where he gave up 13 of the 22 runs he's surrendered over 45 appearances.

• Options

Back a ways in this thread I gave Rivera's stats from age 33 through age 43, it was practically super human.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had the chance to talk to Mariano Rivera a couple months ago on the golf course. The guy has a crazy life story on how he got to the majors. Btw the cutter he threw was all natural. He didn’t have to do anything to the ball after his surgery to make the ball cut like it did.

• Options

Tomorrow Mike Soroka faces an old compadre Anabel Sanchez. I like our chances in this one.

Soroka has been dominant on the road with a 1.19 ERA while going 6.0. Sanchez has a 3.40 ERA at home, advantage good guys. I hadn't realized how much better Soroka has been on the road vs at home where he is 4-2 and his ERA is 4.08.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's felt a bit like we're scuffling a bit recently, so a win tomorrow to stretch the lead to 6.5 games would be fantastic.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

another guy you think you want, but actually don't....although outside of the bright lights of nyc he might be less of a mental midget

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like your enthusiasm, but go back and look at our history against Anabel Sanchez, he has owned us just about every time we’ve faced him.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's been tough for us when we had him and tough on us since he's been with the Nats. Could be a dogfight but our bats are showing a few signs of life.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    With other teams making moves, it could make for an interesting fall. Picking up Martin is a help, but it’s hardly a breakthrough trade. Last night’s performance by the bullpen was horrific. 
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know what his role is going to be but if it drops everyone one spot down the order in the bullpen it can help - maybe better 6th, 7th and 8th inning work? I don't think they are through yet.

I just have this bad feeling Allard is going to turn into a really good pitcher. No evidence to support it, but I'm thinking Adam Wainright type stuff.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ideally Martin throws like 30 innings this year, which means sobotka doesn’t throw 30. Martins innings are better than sobotkas innings. That’s the only real impact, not necessarily that we get to move guys down the bullpen pecking order. We just move somebody to Gwinnett, who probably deserves to be sent down anyway.

Also, kolby Allard was valued really really low in this trade, which tells me he had really really low value across the industry. I don’t think anybody expects him to become an actual major league pitcher based on his trade value. Maybe has an outside shot at an innings eater #5 or first guy up out of AAA. People just don’t send actual prospects to teams for half a season of a 33 year old reliever.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I went back and looked at his numbers against us. 15 starts, 7-7 record, 4.33 ERA. Last 10, 5-4, 4.18 ERA. Last 4, 3-0, 2.42. So I may have been letting recent history cloud my judgement of his career against us.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's ridiculous MLB is still refusing to use the laser system that every network that televises games have now. It might not be 100% perfect, but it's real close.

I couldnt agree more! They have been using similar technology in Tennis for decades.

It works. It can be done.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Go get Greene from DET or even better the hard throwing lefty from Pittsburgh. Name escapes me.

Adding Martin and another strong arm to the bullpen would really give us a chance.

The starters out there cost too much IMO. Martin didn't cost that much. One prospect they must not have been high on.

Having a big left hand arm out of the pen helps against the Dodgers too. If you want to make it to the WS you are going to have to beat them at some point.

• Options

Results are results. The only possible issues I would have in acquiring Diaz would be if he's injured or potentially disruptive to team chemistry. Other than the 3 innings over 4 appearances this season he's been superb the past 2 years.

• Options

Somewhere along the way the word scuffle changed meanings. It's used like struggle now for some reason. It used to be used like 2 boys scuffled ( fought) on the playground. Clearly I'm getting older.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

If you don't want to trade Allard, then who are you trading?

Yes, he was formerly a big first round type that could've gone #1 without the back injury a few years back (and a lot of it was about they thought he could've put on weight and maintained low 90s while peaking in the mid 90s and a better looking curve, etc, which didn't happen), but his value had diminished after 2017, even if he regained some in 2019. It's not 1992, so a guy with his stuff (88-93 MPH fastball, change, curve, and had to develop a cutter), but is better for his pitchability just doesn't have as much value in the "today" era.

I'm not going to bet anything, but it's big time unlikely that Allard becomes Adam Wainwright. It is FAR more likely that he's the next Randall Delgado, and has a solid, if non-descript career.

• Options

I put more weight on overall results and what a player has been like over his past 3 or 4 appearances. Maybe Soroka's superior road stats are a bit of a fluke, but it's encouraging.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

Except he’s been shaky all season. Not sure how many Mets games you’re watching, but stats don’t always tell the whole story

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, a laser system would be an interesting change for sure. In HS or Minor leagues where it's been tried, have there been certain pitchers, those that rely on change ups/curve balls out of the zone issuing more walks? Changing their approach to how they pitch?

It's going to revolutionize the sport, if adopted.

This discussion has been closed.