Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I edited right away wise arse.

Anyway. Houston now has

1, Justin Verlander - 2.73 ERA 0.81 WHIP

2A. Gerrit Cole - 2.94 ERA 1.00 WHIP

2B - Zack Greinke 2.87 ERA 0.94 WHIP

4 - Wade Miley 3.06 ERA 1.12 WHIP

Three aces and a top level number 2.

Liberty was never going to allow a high dollar move like signing Greinke.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,969 mod

ensures the Yankees are not playing in the World Series again this year

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That blown save was actually Newcomb's FWIW. The guy that gets the blown save is the guy that's in, not the pitcher that puts the ducks on the pond.

I was actually screaming for him to start that inning in the first place with Eaton and Soto up (Eaton got an absolute BS hit by the way, it was almost in the glove and then it was just dribbled to the perfect place), he probably does fine with the bases clean, but they weren't there.

• Options

I hope so. It's going to be tough for any team to win 4 out of 7 against Houston with those guys lined up like a gauntlet.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teams don’t typically pay deadline premiums for guys they won’t need until next year. Really weird move to make. Sure this helps them next year, but still really odd decision making considering the timeline.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,969 mod

Well, we are also 5 back in the wildcard and have a series coming up with Washington. If they even get a little hot, they can make a run this year. I wouldn't count on it, but with 2 wildcards, anything is possible

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't seem like the Braves gave up a whole lot in these deals. Wentz is the biggest piece, but very willing to do that to solidify the bullpen

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A front-line starter and left-handed reliever would have been nice, but love that we were able to upgrade our bullpen without giving up more than we did. Allard didn’t seem to be in our long-term plans and while Tristen Beck and Joey Wentz may turn out to be solid major league pitchers, we were always going to have to pick which of our young pitching prospects to use for trade bait. Hopefully, Folty can get his act together and be the third or fourth starter we need for the playoffs. Fried could be the left handed reliever we need in the playoffs.

• Options
    UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Welll..ok then.

Moving on. Some comparisons of Jackson to Greene

ERA. Jackson 3.60 Greene 1.18

Opponents' batting average. Jackson .264 Greene .153

WHIP. Jackson 1.38 Greene 0.87

Save percentage. Jackson 68% Greene 88%

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nolo contendere.

• Options

I just watched the replay of today's game through the 7th and focused on Soroka. He still doesn't have quite the control he had over his first 11 games but the movement is there. He did leave a pitch hanging just a bit that went for a HR, but he's back to going down, up, in and out. He's cutting, riding, curving, sliding, slicing, every sort of movement but the knuckle ball shimmy. This kid is fun to watch and seeing him recover from the little hiccup gives me that much more confidence in his makeup.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If guaranteed Soroka’s current stats before the season began, who wouldn’t have taken them without a moment’s hesitation? I know I would have. Somewhere along the line performance has to mean more than analysis and arcane stats.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2019

Greene, Melancon, Martin > Kimbrel

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, we are also 5 back in the wildcard and have a series coming up with Washington. If they even get a little hot, they can make a run this year. I wouldn't count on it, but with 2 wildcards, anything is possible

Its 5 o'clock somewhere huh?

• Options

Exactly donm. I see the value of secondary stats for trying to project how a minor league player will do in the bigs but when they arrive it's about production and Soroka is producing in spades. If you want to look at his minor league record though you'll find he did this at every level.

• Options

We play Cincy at 7:20 today in Cobb County. It's Fried for us, DeScalafani for The Red Legs.

For the season Max has a 4.01 ERA at home, DeScalafani has a 4.65 ERA on the road. For July it doesn't look so good Max has a 5.28 ERA for the month while DeScalafani has a 2.78 ERA for the month.

May the better man win, unless the better guy is their guy, then may our guy win.

• Options
    CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s not just that the Mets are 5 back in the wild card race. They also would have to leap frog 5 teams. It is possible in the same way that it is possible that the Creamsicles win the SEC East.

• Options

That is a very good and often overlooked point. It's far less likely all 5 teams will falter than just 1 team, roughly 4 times less likely according to my super computer like noggin.

This discussion has been closed.