Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is Adam Sasser alleged to have shouted at Justin Fields ?

Comments

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jesupdawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:
    I go to Greenbrier HS (where Adam graduated from) so a lot of people have been talking about. I heard someone tell me that he said "put in my n****" it's still not justifiable but if this be the case I think he is referring to Justin as a friend

I think the girl reporting she was there did say something like" you cant say it if you're not one of us". So that would sound plausible

This is what gets me African American kids will call each other that all the time then get mad when their white friends say it... don’t make sense

Makes plenty of sense. You take a word that has YEARS of hatred and turn it into a term of endearment and eliminate the former oppressors usage of it.

• Options

@Lefty13 said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:
    I go to Greenbrier HS (where Adam graduated from) so a lot of people have been talking about. I heard someone tell me that he said "put in my n****" it's still not justifiable but if this be the case I think he is referring to Justin as a friend

I think the girl reporting she was there did say something like" you cant say it if you're not one of us". So that would sound plausible

First of all I don't use the word and I believe that if it's as offensive to the a large segment of our population than it should not be used by others. Saying that I don't think that it's okay for one segment of the population to say it and tell everyone else that they can't. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. I do not like the idea though of limiting free speech, and NO ONE should be arrested for exercising their right to free speech as outlined in the bill of rights. It's the first amendment for a reason.

Pretty comfident other words like homophobic slurs, religious slurs, and lifestyle slurs can get a person fired so racial slurs aren't equal?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

@Lefty13 said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:

First of all I don't use the word and I believe that if it's as offensive to the a large segment of our population than it should not be used by others. Saying that I don't think that it's okay for one segment of the population to say it and tell everyone else that they can't. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. I do not like the idea though of limiting free speech, and NO ONE should be arrested for exercising their right to free speech as outlined in the bill of rights. It's the first amendment for a reason.

Pretty comfident other words like homophobic slurs, religious slurs, and lifestyle slurs can get a person fired so racial slurs aren't equal?

He did post get arrested, not just fired.
    I agree to some extent that idiots and yahoos have a right to spout ignorance. There is a line though, if they do so at Sanford, demand they vacate the stadium and have them arrested if they refuse to leave.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@Lefty13 said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:

He did post get arrested, not just fired.
    I agree to some extent that idiots and yahoos have a right to spout ignorance. There is a line though, if they do so at Sanford, demand they vacate the stadium and have them arrested if they refuse to leave.

I agree. I dont mind trash (sh!t) talking at all but to go beyond certian things and bring up race, religion, family, etc. Then its like okay buddy slow it down.

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:

@Jesupdawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:

This is what gets me African American kids will call each other that all the time then get mad when their white friends say it... don’t make sense

Makes plenty of sense. You take a word that has YEARS of hatred and turn it into a term of endearment and eliminate the former oppressors usage of it.

Welp I guess we can agree to disagree.....

• Options
    sidney30sidney30 Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophomore

If you feel you can police the word and say if one race cant use it than no race can, go right into a black community and use it and see how it works out for you. That is to those who feel it's not fair

• Options
    browndawgbrowndawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

A very sad situation if UGA investigation confirms he said what is being reported and if so, have confidence the university will deal with it quickly and appropriately.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sidney30 said:
    If you feel you can police the word and say if one race cant use it than no race can, go right into a black community and use it and see how it works out for you. That is to those who feel it's not fair

Look, I'm no historian, but I'm told there's a bit of negative history attached to that word which makes it particularly offensive to blacks when used by whites, who I'm told may have been somewhat oppressive to blacks in the past.
    Have do I have my history right ? if not please feel free to correct me.

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s just a word that has no meaning unless you personally allow it to!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@sidney30 said:

Look, I'm no historian, but I'm told there's a bit of negative history attached to that word which makes it particularly offensive to blacks when used by whites, who I'm told may have been somewhat oppressive to blacks in the past.
    Have do I have my history right ? if not please feel free to correct me.

Seems straight to me.

• Options

@mlee said:

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@donm said:

@mlee said:

I think an African-American’s response to hearing that is almost automatic and w/o much thought, at least for many. Are you saying the guy who said it gave no personal meaning to the word? Your theory is ok but I don’t think it works well in real life.

I guess a lot of folks allow it to have meaning.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It has meaning, and anyone above the age of ten and born after 1950 knows better. This will be an easy call - off the baseball team, no scholarship, and brought before student judiciary.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Be careful what you wish for. We've all said stuff we shouldn't. Don't throw a stone if you live in a glass house too. Want me to tell your boss what you said about them? Still have a job? Easy to go with the mob, until it's you the mob is after.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some folks simply are tone deaf. Hopefully this is over quickly and decisively and the ignorance that’s abound here we can quickly move on from.

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Midnite_Train said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is why non blacks would even WANT to use a word that has a history of pure hatred behind it.

Quit worrying about what blacks say to each other, if you’re not black it’s none of your business.

Yes sir mister “hate word police man” personally I don’t use the word. It just gripes me that they call each other one then want to get mad when a white dude does it... how can they justify it being a hate word when they use it. And hey it’s a free country so can’t it gripe me?

• Options
    LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think this thing with Sasser is probably a little over blown... Reading between the lines he said the n word as in "put my n in the game" and the girls took high offense. By no means would it ever be acceptable for him (or anyone) to be saying that in a public place not to mention someone representing UGA athletics, that can never happen and is inexcusable on many levels. In reality Sasser could have a friendship personally with Fields and could have said the exact same thing to Fields himself the night before playing Madden. All these athletes know each other and grew up playing with kids of all colors and backgrounds. And the statement sounds as if its original intent was not derogatory but these girls called him on it (rightfully so) and he begain to do what drunk 19-20 year old kids do... Showed his a$$. At this point the girls were furious and took it as a mission to show him even as a top UGA athlete you are not going to get away with acting like that. And I don't blame them... "Humble your self" young man! But for those that feel this is something to pull a young man's scholarship... That's a little too harsh a punishment for the crime. I do like the 100 hours of volunteer work. Something like that and on the athletic side... Run him till he pukes... Then run him some more... but hope the kid learns and is better for it! Just my 2¢! Wow that got long... Sorry!

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Lefty13 said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:

I think for the most part we poor overburdened white folk need to get over ourselves.
    If blacks don't want whites using the n-word...where's the injury ?

No one should use the word.

• Options

Taking the scholarship is wrong in my eyes. I hate that people use the excuse if they say it they cant get mad when others. I don't use homophobic, religious, ornany other offensive terms nor do I care what other use. But I get when it is wrong. Smh

Easiest punishment:
    Some type of class for diversity
    Weekend Game suspension
    Community Service

and just a cherry on top sponser a young male at a local boys and girls club.