Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:
    Whatever dude. The point is, if you are a top 20 player then your chances are just as good as the number one player. All in all you got to win and there hasn't been a clear cut #1 player since Tiger.

Tiger's play does not warrant the attention he gets in tournaments now. It robs more deserving players and more important, annoys ME.

He is the Notre Dame of olf. It is what it is, get over it.

• Options
    RailroadDawgRailroadDawg Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

He had the lead by himself on the back 9 of the final round of the British Open. It’s a fantastic story to watch one of the top 2 players of all time try and come back and have one more run at glory against an extremely talented group of young players. Couldn’t be pulling for him any harder.

• Options
    RailroadDawgRailroadDawg Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    NYCLawDawgNYCLawDawg Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

he’s definitely winning another major before it’s all said and done.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
    The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
    It's past time to promote the top players today.

@WCDawg said:

PLEASE. avoid WWII references!

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    No, he does not need to retire. Nobody on the modern day tour moves the needle at an event on the pga tour like Tiger. He does warrant the attention even though he is nowhere close to as dominant as he was in the late 90s and 2000s. He built the modern pga in terms of purse money for the tour, attendance and tv rights $$$ from the the networks. The only guy who comes close to Tiger is Phil. Speith, Rory, Sergio, etc couldn’t do it.

You were probably the same guy who said Jack needs to hang up the spikes going into the 1986 Masters.

You exaggerate Tiger's overall affect on the game.
    Compare the increase in prize money to other sports, it has followed the prevailing course.
    What he HAS done is monopolized the available air out of the proverbial room.
    Instead of having 5 or 6 interesting stories divided fairly equally, it's usually about a single player who is no better than a dozen or more other guys.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

PLEASE. avoid WWII references!

Patton, MacArthur and myself concur.

• Options

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:
    Whatever dude. The point is, if you are a top 20 player then your chances are just as good as the number one player. All in all you got to win and there hasn't been a clear cut #1 player since Tiger.

Tiger's play does not warrant the attention he gets in tournaments now. It robs more deserving players and more important, annoys ME.

Well, it is all about YOU.

ALWAYS.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:
    Actually he is 7 shots back with 11 holes still to play and was in contention for the win at the British Open. He still has a lot left in the tank, he just had to find his game again and I do believe that he has probably found it. He may not have any major wins but he still does have a few tour wins in the past few years. Tour wins are just as hard to win as a major. So major or not, he is still the hottest name on tour.

Retire already.
    He is at best a top 20 player now.

Does that mean everybody below 20 should retire too?

Maybe they already have retired, we wouldn't have noticed because all the cameras are on Tiger.

• Options

@NOVADAWG said:
    Tiger Woods made the sport popular again. While he was out of the game the ratings went way down. The ratings at the British open this year were the highest viewer ratings in years. Watch the gallery’s, more people watch him the anyone else. I turn it on tv I don’t care about 20th ranked player in the world, its were is tiger!!

It's like a drug.
    The interest in other things has diminished, replaced by cravings for Tiger.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,956 mod

@WCDawg said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    No, he does not need to retire. Nobody on the modern day tour moves the needle at an event on the pga tour like Tiger. He does warrant the attention even though he is nowhere close to as dominant as he was in the late 90s and 2000s. He built the modern pga in terms of purse money for the tour, attendance and tv rights $$$ from the the networks. The only guy who comes close to Tiger is Phil. Speith, Rory, Sergio, etc couldn’t do it.

You were probably the same guy who said Jack needs to hang up the spikes going into the 1986 Masters.

Compare the increase in prize money to other sports, it has followed the prevailing course.
    Instead of having 5 or 6 interesting stories divided fairly equally, it's usually about a single player who is no better than a dozen or more other guys.

Tiger was the rising tide that made all other boats rise. Attendance and ratings went up because of him from 1997-2008. I don’t like tiger at all and the unending coverage bothers me too...but you can’t argue dollars and cents on this one. Tiger changed the game more than anyone else.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

Tiger was the rising tide that made all other boats rise. Attendance and ratings went up because of him from 1997-2008. I don’t like tiger at all and the unending coverage bothers me too...but you can’t argue dollars and cents on this one. Tiger changed the game more than anyone else.

Arnold Palmer and his agent changed not only golf but American sports as a commodity more than anybody else.
    Tiger brought crowds, which put money in the pockets of promoters, but prize money has increased in every major sport since the late 90s.
    Did Tiger help promote other players ? I think the opposite happened, he **** the air out of the room.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He gets casual fans to watch by name recognition alone.
    Avid golfers don’t move the ratings needle, but a casual fan would tune in to see Tiger either fail or win.
    Most of them could maybe name two pro golfers... Tiger being one.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RailroadDawg said:
    He had the lead by himself on the back 9 of the final round of the British Open. It’s a fantastic story to watch one of the top 2 players of all time try and come back and have one more run at glory against an extremely talented group of young players. Couldn’t be pulling for him any harder.

I really have never liked Tiger. I can appreciate his greatness and have seen him at the Masters a few times. I just see him as the Ohio State, the Yankees, the Lebron, the Patriots of golf. My family is from Augusta so I grew up going to the Masters and used to at least follow the majors so I’d know who was who was who. I got tired of Tiger quickly. And a lot of it was the swarming media frenzy around him. Plus I always knew he was a dick. He just gives off that vibe. I certainly had my feelings confirmed in reading the book about him by Keteyian and the other guy. It’s pretty damning.

So I don’t have the pulling for him feeling as many seem to. I feel sorry for him because his dad was apparently a trainwreck and his mom was a bit weird too. But the Williams sisters seem to be not that screwed up and their dad was a bit of a stage manager type supposedly. Plus they had a sister that was shot with an AK in a botched drive by. Just saying. Great golfer, not so great a guy.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg747 said:
    Well, if your a top 20 player then you would have a 1 in 20 chance of winning a major. That's pretty dang good odds.

Pretty amusing. If the 20th ranked player had the same chance as the #1 then tournament wins would be spread evenly among the Top 20 players. Guess what?

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:
    Actually he is 7 shots back with 11 holes still to play and was in contention for the win at the British Open. He still has a lot left in the tank, he just had to find his game again and I do believe that he has probably found it. He may not have any major wins but he still does have a few tour wins in the past few years. Tour wins are just as hard to win as a major. So major or not, he is still the hottest name on tour.

Retire already.
    He is at best a top 20 player now.

Does that mean everybody below 20 should retire too?

Maybe they already have retired, we wouldn't have noticed because all the cameras are on Tiger.

Facts are facts. Viewership increases when Tiger plays. It was up 38% on Sunday during the British Open compared to last year. The difference? Tiger wasn’t playing Sunday of last year. That means more advertising dollars.

Furthermore, he has played in 10 tournaments this year and has 4 top 10 finishes. There aren’t 20 golfers who have a 40% top 10 finish rate this year.

He will be the story on the first two days in each tournament he plays this year simply because of his coming back from back surgery. If he isn’t in contention on Saturday and Sunday then the storyline becomes those who are in contention.

Bottom line, Tiger brings money to the PGA.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,956 mod

Arguing with wcdawg is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind man. And yet I still try to do it from time to time

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Golf, Tennis, & even baseball (to a lesser degree).... it's what is on TV all spring & summer, when everyone is REALLY JUST waiting on COLLEGE FOOTBALL & THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS to HURRY UP AND COME BACK!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The game of golf has more young talent than it ever has, yet all of the talking heads still focus on a washed up has been. I’m with WC on this one.