Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guess ill retire if they didnt

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:
    FYI, a quick look at both CBS's and NBC's sports sites shows Tiger has the headline picture on their front page, just like ESPN.
    Ditto for MSN and Sports Illustrated.
    All 5 lead their front pages with Tiger.

FYI the 14 major win champ is on a charge, why would they not feature him.

He was 8 back when they put his pic and article as their front page article. He is always their top story when he's in any tourney.

He is Tiger f n woods with 14 majors, get over it.

Nope..won't do it.

Do you mind telling us how old you are? I don't think your young at all, i just want to know how old jealousy grows.

I'm this many, but I'll be this many on my birthday.
    How long did it take you to become a **** groupie ?

Aww, did my keyboarding skills get under your skin. Im sorry.

Not at all groupie.
    An interesting note for actual golf fans, you may want to turn away now, Koepka has opened a 4 shot lead. If he wins he'll have a total of 4 wins on The PGA tour, with all but 1 being majors.

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:
    FYI, a quick look at both CBS's and NBC's sports sites shows Tiger has the headline picture on their front page, just like ESPN.

He was 8 back when they put his pic and article as their front page article. He is always their top story when he's in any tourney.

Nope..won't do it.

Do you mind telling us how old you are? I don't think your young at all, i just want to know how old jealousy grows.

Not at all groupie.
    An interesting note for actual golf fans, you may want to turn away now, Koepka has opened a 4 shot lead. If he wins he'll have a total of 4 wins on The PGA tour, with all but 1 being majors.

A note for actual golf fans, the fourth round is where it actually counts and you have to hold it togather for the final round. Let me know when koepa reaches 14 majors you old fart.

Can yall believe it. Mike wallace hit a hole in one and they featured it!

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

Nope..won't do it.

Not at all groupie.

A note for actual golf fans, the fourth round is where it actually counts and you have to hold it togather for the final round. Let me know when koepa reaches 14 majors you old fart.

Do you even have a handicap or are you that bad that it cant even be calculated?

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

Nope..won't do it.

Not at all groupie.

Do you even have a handicap or are you that bad that it cant even be calculated?

You're flailing like a drowning man, maybe you need to play in the shallow end of the pool.

Lame

• SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2018

Brooks is simply better than everyone again this week. No one else will win because he’s ahead and the most talented golfer in the field.

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

Nope..won't do it.

Not at all groupie.

I live rent free in your head, but it's SUCH A DUMP ?

Yep, a dump for retired golfers.

edited August 2018

@SWGADAWG said:
    Brooks is simply better than everyone again this week. No one else will win because he’s ahead and the most talented golfer in the field.

It's so weird that he has just 3 wins and 2 of them are majors. Now he's in good shape to win his 3rd in 2 years.
    Jack has said many times for him majors were the easiest because most players didn't have the nerves for them, that meant he really only had to beat a few guys who had the stuff for them.
    Apparently this guy has found the stuff.

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

@WCDawg said:

Nope..won't do it.

Not at all groupie.

I live rent free in your head, but it's SUCH A DUMP ?

Yep, a dump for retired golfers.

...wha...?

Koepka is exceptional talent. His power out of the rough is amazing.

• SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:

It's so weird that he has just 3 wins and 2 of them are majors. Now he's in good shape to win his 3rd in 2 years.
    Jack has said many times for him majors were the easiest because most players didn't have the nerves for them, that meant he really only had to beat a few guys who had the stuff for them.
    Apparently this guy has found the stuff.

I remember Jack talking about that, he said he could walk around the practice area on Tuesday and Wednesday and check people off that he had to beat. It takes the right mindset for sure.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Good post. Tiger also introduced a new generation of kids to golf. His impact on youth involvement in golf can't be overstated.

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

It’s not just the purses for the majors have increased dramatically. Purses for EVERY golf tournament have increased dramatically. I outlined earlier the number of golfers who now hit seven figures in golf winnings. This doesn’t include endorsements. I recall when it was a HUGE deal when Greg Norman earned one million in golf earnings AND $7 million in endorsements. The likes of Tiger and Phil hit $50+ million in endorsements annually. Tiger’s impact on golf is quite measurable and continues to be so. Numbers don’t lie. When he’s playing, viewership increases. Especially when he’s in contention. Will purses continue moving up even when Tiger is gone? Most likely. But it is in large part because of the impact he’s had.

As far as you comparing tennis purses to golf, there were a couple of dominant players who came along at a similar time to Tiger. Their names are Serena Williams and Roger Federer.