Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Ender is a gold glove CF. He is historically a second-half player. Was an all-star a couple seasons ago. Team control for 4 yrs on a reasonable contract. He does have some value. I would hope a package of Ender and a couple of non-stop shelf prospects should get something in return.
  • TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

We have plenty of pitching prospects to send over. The Pirates can hit the ball, but they have no pitching so that may be exactly what they're looking for. Like others have said, Pache looks like our center fielder next year with Markakis likely gone so he would be a lot tougher to move. With Donaldson moving on after this season (1-year contract, right?) I'd love to see Riley back at his home position in the hot corner. That leaves one outfield slot next year which Ender could conceivably fill.

Speaking of 2020, I'd personally prefer to use Ender as a trade chip and leave that LF spot open for Camargo to slide into next year. This makes a lot of sense to me with Ender feeling like a hole in the lineup lately and beginning to decline in center field. This would move Acuna to RF, which I'd assume he can handle (Pache looks like a perennial gold glove candidate in CF). That would mean the Braves wouldn't have to sign or trade for any everyday starters, which could leave a lot of room to spend on quality relief pitching and continued bench depth.

In other words I think the Braves have a championship lineup next year without overspending on FA position players. Only substitutions in the lineup would be Camargo for Donaldson and Pache for Markakis. So, Ender and pitching prospects for Vasquez?

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2020 lineup:

Acuna RF

Swanson SS

Freeman 1B

Riley 3B

Albies 2B

Camargo LF

Catcher spot. Will Flowers/McCann be back?

Pache CF

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like that lineup, but Markakis has a club option for 2020 of only $6 million. Not many 5-hole hitters that only cost $6 million dollars these days in the MLB, and a veteran at that.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I'd like to see Nick stay for another year - Pache might not be ready and Nick is steady.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Let’s just assume ender is 2018 ender and not broken for the sake of argument. He is a pretty decent player but certainly not spectacular. Plenty of teams would have a spot for him. 

But now let’s say we offer the pirates ender for their closer. The pirates are inclined to trade this closer because they aren’t good enough to beat .500 this year. They decide they would like to try and get better for future seasons and give up on this one. This typically means trading current mlb assets for future mlb assets (prospects or young team controlled players).

The pirates don’t want ender. Sure he is a decent player now, but he is on the decline already and won’t be a big factor for you 2-3 years down the road. This is when the pirates are hoping to be good again. In the meantime this rebuilding team would be committing to Enders salary as opposed to saving money for free agents, international signings, etc. The pirates would much prefer prospects, who are basically free and represent a better shot to add to their next good team in 2021.

So sure, we may end up trading ender for something useful. But he will not be the centerpiece of any big deals because teams inclined to trade away mlb talent mid season arent in the ender enciarte market.
  • UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the guy and he has come up big for us in some situations, but I hope Camargo is never more than a bench/depth piece to us. He is not an everyday starter for a WS winning team. He is a great asset off the bench that WS teams have though. I look at him like a lite version of Marwin Gonzalez for the Astros when they won it all.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drew Waters might be passing Pache as an outfield prospect. He’s been lighting up AA Mississippi this year, leading the Southern League in average, hits, runs, total bases, and slugging percentage. Waters’ average is higher than Pache’s (.340 to .290) but Pache has hit 9 HRs to Waters’ 5 HRs. Think the Braves outfield will be Acuna, Pache, and Waters in the near future, unless we sign a power hitting free agent.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

coastal. Waters has had better tell tale stats than Pache for some time. He looks like he might develop into the better hitter.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree @WCDawg, Pache probably has an edge with his defense, but Waters is supposed to be a good defender also. Not sure, but I think that both have alternated between centerfield and corner outfield spots at Mississippi this year.

FYI Waters is #1 on Baseball America's Hot Sheet which rates the best week of all minor leaguers that was released yesterday. He had a .444 Ba, .459 OBP slugged .722 for a 1181 OPS he had 4 2B, 2 HR and 7 RBI for the week. Not bad for a 20 year old.

Pache in center, Waters in LF and Acuna in RF. That could make the best defensive outfield in MLB and maybe one of the best hitting outfields as well.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    You guys loving Peter Alonso yet?!
  • loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Pirates want starting pitching prospects. Probably the same for other clubs that AA is talking to. Anderson, Allard, and Burrows are who they would be interested in.

Julio got hammered tonight. I just can't trust he won't revert to the usual hit and miss pitcher he has been in the past.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No way he could have kept up the pace he was at. Hope he can bounce back next start. If he starts doing that yo-yo thing, it doesn’t bode well for the Bravos.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @loxahatcheedawg where did you see they’d be interested in those guys? Because they are 3 totally different calibers of pitching prospects.
  • loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kirbstomper from Jim Bowden in The Athletic. He didn’t think the Braves would trade Anderson.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Went to the game tonight and Jake DeGromm (spelling?) showed exactly why an elite pitcher is a must have.  If that guy was on the Braves I’d put money on a deep playoff run.
    Also a lot of people stayed until the end just in case of another magical rally.  They really are fun to watch.
  • KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    Jacob deGrom. When he is on there’s no one better for my money

Kasey..Degrom is a classic fastball slider pitcher. It's historically a great combination if he can locate and maintain velocity. I think Mike Soroka is every bit as good as Degrom 'stuff' wise. It's a matter of who can command their strengths more consistently. JD has maintained a high level for 5 or soo years, that makes him the better pitcher at this point. Soroka hasn't been as sharp his last 2 outings, that makes me hope he has the makeup to maintain, I think he does but till he demonstrates it at this level it will be an open question.

This discussion has been closed.