Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• PedroPedro Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Supra, I have found the economist and FT reliable sources of information and mostly fact based reporting. I subscribe to both so it must be where I got those numbers previously. Clearly Latin America has major issues related to underreporting. If there is herd immunity I suspect they may reach it before developed countries. Didn’t see the India numbers but I imagine mass underreporting there also.

Anecdotally, there has been pretty aggressive spread in area of KC where I live. High schoolers and swim team parties have been a major source of spread. The area where I grew up in Florida has also seen major spread. While the spread has been aggressive the severity has not been. Both areas tend to skew healthier, but still below what I would expect.

Also, while deaths have been increasing, I quite frankly expected heavier losses this past week given the cases and lag. Maybe some hope on death rates? Yale, denman, too early?

As an aside some of the worst characteristics of human behavior are being exhibited. People who know they have been exposed and even awaiting test results willingly going out and exposing others. Regardless of your beliefs, personal freedoms shouldn’t extend to knowingly putting others at risk.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't speak to all of Latin America but ,as far as Central America, only Costa Rica numbers have any validity. Wouldn't even bother looking at them. Nicaragua is hiding the real numbers to the extent that they will not even allow private doctors or hospitals to perform tests. Govt. releases numbers weekly but everyone knows that they're just "made up" numbers.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty sure I got it . Body aches, slight fever, neck glands are swollen, dry cough kicking in. I got tested Friday so I’ll know in a few days if so. Started feeling bad the day after the test.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020
    1. All data being reported are being heavily scrutinized by the media especially at the local level. The media is investigating and reporting oddities to get answers. This demonstrates there is still a healthy level of accountability.
    2. How do we know that COVID-19 didn't contribute to the crash? It may have caused an acute medical issue that caused the crash.
    3. It could have been a mistake. Why does this one case equal a conspiracy from a state government whose governor has been downplaying COVID? If anything it fits a pattern of sloppiness and incompetence, but I'm not seeing widespread malfeasance.
    4. As mentioned earlier its hard to fake numbers of this size, and we are likely still underestimating deaths.
  • Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Praying for you!!!

Hopefully it will be a brief time of milder symptoms for you!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Todayss numbers for yesterday Cases 12,478 with 70653 new people tested so 17.7% of them were positive. Hospitalizations 339 for a new total of 20971; Deaths (Residents only) 87 for 4982 to date.

Source

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Prayers for a quick recovery. Hang in there. One of my nieces had it. She had very similar symptoms, but she has fully recovered now.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Governor is not telling people to go hog wild. He shut bars back down when they broke the rules. I know someone put out that the Department of Professional Regulation did it and not him but he told them to do it since they regulate bars. I see him wearing a mask right up until he gets to the podium like anyone else. As far as schools there are 3 different models to follow. Like you said with treating H1N1 like the flu there are things to do with this one. Why does the average person need to see the numbers posted in the media everyday other than to scare? We know it is bad wear a mask wash your hands keep your distance and when given the all clear go back to normal. If it wasn't necessary to post numbers everyday for other viruses like the Hong Kong Flu or H1N1 why is it needed now?

Yea started feeling a little weird yesterday but I went to the gym twice and had a good few workouts so I didn’t think anything of it. Last night started to get that achey and fatigue feeling. Then this morning started to feel that joint and body ache pain associated with flus and fevers. Took a pre workout and was gonna head to the gym and push through but I’m gonna wait for my results to come back. Not the worst feeling I’ve ever had but definitely not feeling great.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good luck. Interested in your recovery #1 but also how long it takes to the results. Some are claiming 2 weeks in SFL.

I'd want to know how much this thing is spreading so I can change my routine if necessary. Why is it a scare tactic to report on things that are happening? To me that's a scary thought to have the government hide all the numbers and say "We'll tell you when this is over". There needs to be transparency in order to have faith in what they tell us.

Yea the sheet says 4 days to be contacted and to call them after 5 days have gone by without being given results. We will see by Tuesday/Wednesday if that is the case.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man .....how I get it..we just want the complete truth.....it's never easy to lose everything you've worked so hard to build.

And even worse if it possibly could have been avoided.

• mdpuck13mdpuck13 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Earlier this week I mentioned my brother getting tested and waiting for results...

As a recap, he started having symptoms Monday 7/6, was tested Thursday 7/9, and as of today 7/19 is still awaiting his test results (Atlanta area).

He's been symptom free for a week now, and fortunately he's been cleared to return to work tomorrow. I've heard of several businesses that won't allow employees to return to work until they've either tested negative without an associated positive test; or if they've tested positive have to test negatively two consecutive times before being allowed to return.

Crazy to think about 2 week turn around times to get test results when these are the criteria some people have to follow before being able to return to work. Fortunately my brother had a good bit of PTO built up, but even so burned all but 3 days. Had his work not cleared him to return to work before getting his test results, there's a good chance he would have had to go on unpaid leave while waiting.

edited July 2020

Ezike said that the state is being careful to make sure to weed out deaths where the patient had COVID-19, but died in a manner completely detached from the virus, such as gunshot wounds or motor vehicle crashes.

“There are also some additional deaths that happen in someone who happened to be COVID positive, but where the COVID infection had nothing to do with the deaths,” she said. “So we are at IDPH trying to remove those obvious cases where the COVID diagnosis was not the reason for the death. If there was a gunshot wound, if there was a motor vehicle accident, we know that that was not related to the COVID positive status.

“We are trying to make sure that things that aren’t related at all to the COVID diagnosis are removed, but if someone has another illness, like heart disease, and then had a **** or other event, it’s not as easy to separate that and say COVID didn’t exacerbate that existing illness. That would not be removed from the count,” she added.

This is a deceptively edited video.

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Depending on the size of company, many employees of smaller companies are eligible for paid leave, and the business will get reimbursed by the Govt.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife was tested in Atlanta on Thursday. Results back yesterday. She went to the Dept of Health location down at Wolf Creek.

This discussion has been closed.