Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Greatest basketball player of all time

12346»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Other

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:
    If you really understand basketball, and take everything in to account and are old enough to at least be comparing 80s-now changes in personnel, rules changes, etc I don't even see how this could be an argument. Jordan. All day, all night.

And not just in basketball. He might be the most dominant pro athlete of all time. Gretzky is right up there as was Montana and Brady is now. I’d put LeBron in this group, but Jordan is at the top.

Jordan was great in basketball, he was never even a top amature in any other sport. Otto Graham was great at the highest level in multiple sports. I could list MANY athletes who were superior overall to MJ.

I'm talking pro sports. Please don't start listing Michael Phelps or wrestler Alexander Karelin or some other Olympian with tons of gold medals. I'm talking major pro sports (football, basketball, baseball, tennis, hockey, golf...) Nobody dominated their sport the way MJ dominated the NBA.

Jordan was really a one sport athlete compared to the truly versatile greats like Graham, Bo and Deon Sanders.

You like to argue. I didn’t say he was the greatest multi-sport athlete. I said he dominated his professional sport unlike anyone else. Nobody has ever said “Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders was the greatest football player ever”. They were great multi-sport athletes, but they are on nobody’s All-Time Greatest list for baseball or football.

Whether you're one of them or not I won't bother checking, but the claim has been made that Jordan is basically superior at other sports than basketball, he is not and never was.
    Sanders, Otto Graham, Elway, Ainge and MANY others were better at second sports than MJ was.

Not me. He was definitely not a great multi-sport guy. But he dominated basketball like notbody ever dominated any sport.

How about Wayne Gretzky, or 13 time champion Bill Russell ?

• Options
    ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Other

Dominique Wilkins

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod
    Other

Muggsey Bogues

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Muggsey Bogues

MVP in the Shire League.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:
    If you really understand basketball, and take everything in to account and are old enough to at least be comparing 80s-now changes in personnel, rules changes, etc I don't even see how this could be an argument. Jordan. All day, all night.

And not just in basketball. He might be the most dominant pro athlete of all time. Gretzky is right up there as was Montana and Brady is now. I’d put LeBron in this group, but Jordan is at the top.

Jordan was great in basketball, he was never even a top amature in any other sport. Otto Graham was great at the highest level in multiple sports. I could list MANY athletes who were superior overall to MJ.

I'm talking pro sports. Please don't start listing Michael Phelps or wrestler Alexander Karelin or some other Olympian with tons of gold medals. I'm talking major pro sports (football, basketball, baseball, tennis, hockey, golf...) Nobody dominated their sport the way MJ dominated the NBA.

Jordan was really a one sport athlete compared to the truly versatile greats like Graham, Bo and Deon Sanders.

You like to argue. I didn’t say he was the greatest multi-sport athlete. I said he dominated his professional sport unlike anyone else. Nobody has ever said “Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders was the greatest football player ever”. They were great multi-sport athletes, but they are on nobody’s All-Time Greatest list for baseball or football.

Whether you're one of them or not I won't bother checking, but the claim has been made that Jordan is basically superior at other sports than basketball, he is not and never was.
    Sanders, Otto Graham, Elway, Ainge and MANY others were better at second sports than MJ was.

Not me. He was definitely not a great multi-sport guy. But he dominated basketball like notbody ever dominated any sport.

In an earlier post I listed Gretzky as someone on par with Jordan. I’ll put Tom Brady in that group as well.

• Options
    Other

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

In an earlier post I listed Gretzky as someone on par with Jordan. I’ll put Tom Brady in that group as well.

Jordan has statistical rivals in The NBA, Gretzky sits on a mountain top all by himself.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan has statistical rivals in The NBA, Gretzky sits on a mountain top all by himself.

True. So who goes on your Mt. Rushmore of professional athletes?

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

After that i don’t know. Maybe LeBron.

• Options
    LawDawgLawDawg Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Changing it up slightly,

1) Jordan
    2) Gretzky
    3) Serena (more majors and she's almost died several times yet keeps coming back).

• Options

@LawDawg said:

@pgjackson

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Changing it up slightly,

1) Jordan
    2) Gretzky
    3) Serena (more majors and she's almost died several times yet keeps coming back).

Very interesting...

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LawDawg said:

@pgjackson

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Changing it up slightly,

1) Jordan
    2) Gretzky

Embarrassed to say I didn't even think of women. Serena for modern day, maybe all-time, GOAT. Can't forget Babe Didrickson Zaharias if we are thinking of all-around best ever. For you younger, whippersnappers, check her out. Pretty amazing, especially the variety of sports excellence. Worst part of her career was having Alex Karras (remember him? ) play her husband in a movie about her.

• Options
    Other

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Ali as much for his influence as his boxing record.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Ali, definitely. Good call!

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Pelé

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Lebron

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Pelé

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Pelé

Messi>pelé

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Jordan

@judasdurant said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Pelé

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Jordan
    Gretzky
    Brady

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Babe Ruth
    Mohammed Ali

Pelé

Messi>pelé

Messi is great.
    Pelé>Messi

• Options

I think I’m adding Tyson over Ali to my Rushmore.

Jordan
    Brady
    Gretzky
    Tyson