Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is Adam Sasser alleged to have shouted at Justin Fields ?

Comments

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LakeDawg said:
    I think this thing with Sasser is probably a little over blown... Reading between the lines he said the n word as in "put my n in the game" and the girls took high offense. By no means would it ever be acceptable for him (or anyone) to be saying that in a public place not to mention someone representing UGA athletics, that can never happen and is inexcusable on many levels. In reality Sasser could have a friendship personally with Fields and could have said the exact same thing to Fields himself the night before playing Madden. All these athletes know each other and grew up playing with kids of all colors and backgrounds. And the statement sounds as if its original intent was not derogatory but these girls called him on it (rightfully so) and he begain to do what drunk 19-20 year old kids do... Showed his a$$. At this point the girls were furious and took it as a mission to show him even as a top UGA athlete you are not going to get away with acting like that. And I don't blame them... "Humble your self" young man! But for those that feel this is something to pull a young man's scholarship... That's a little too harsh a punishment for the crime. I do like the 100 hours of volunteer work. Something like that and on the athletic side... Run him till he pukes... Then run him some more... but hope the kid learns and is better for it! Just my 2¢! Wow that got long... Sorry!

Fair post, this bigger than this Sasser kid though. The intent doesn’t matter, the speculation on friendship doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if one understands the “culture” or not. What matters is those that find it offensive, we’re offended. Attempts to stop the behavior were ignored per reports, which exacerbated the offense. Can’t be so arrogant to offend someone and then proceed to tell them how they should feel about it. It was wrong and likely will cost this kid a ton. It’s bigger than Sasser because it’s naive to think that folks aren’t watching the response, especially black/African Americans. This kid is likely done at UGA and he can only blame himself.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kids do **** things. We all did. As a student athlete he represents the UGA. He has embarrassed himself, the three young ladies who intervened, his school and Justin Fields. Should he be kicked off the team, lose his scholarship, kicked out of school over this? I don’t know. But the punishment should fit the crime. After the investigation is complete, I am confident UGA will do right by the three young ladies who confronted Sasser, Justin Fields and Sasser. Should he receive some sort of punishment, yes. Should he be flogged on Herty Field, no. I hope this can serve as a teaching point for all.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The **** are the word s t u p I d.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, there's open hostility towards Blacks on EVERY SEC Campus so I don't know about handing rival recruiters material against UGA. There's literally thousands of Adam Sassers populating ALL SEC Campuses, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, ALWAYS WILL B.

• Options
    LakeDawgLakeDawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@LakeDawg said:
    I think this thing with Sasser is probably a little over blown... Reading between the lines he said the n word as in "put my n in the game" and the girls took high offense. By no means would it ever be acceptable for him (or anyone) to be saying that in a public place not to mention someone representing UGA athletics, that can never happen and is inexcusable on many levels. In reality Sasser could have a friendship personally with Fields and could have said the exact same thing to Fields himself the night before playing Madden. All these athletes know each other and grew up playing with kids of all colors and backgrounds. And the statement sounds as if its original intent was not derogatory but these girls called him on it (rightfully so) and he begain to do what drunk 19-20 year old kids do... Showed his a$$. At this point the girls were furious and took it as a mission to show him even as a top UGA athlete you are not going to get away with acting like that. And I don't blame them... "Humble your self" young man! But for those that feel this is something to pull a young man's scholarship... That's a little too harsh a punishment for the crime. I do like the 100 hours of volunteer work. Something like that and on the athletic side... Run him till he pukes... Then run him some more... but hope the kid learns and is better for it! Just my 2¢! Wow that got long... Sorry!

Fair post, this bigger than this Sasser kid though. The intent doesn’t matter, the speculation on friendship doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if one understands the “culture” or not. What matters is those that find it offensive, we’re offended. Attempts to stop the behavior were ignored per reports, which exacerbated the offense. Can’t be so arrogant to offend someone and then proceed to tell them how they should feel about it. It was wrong and likely will cost this kid a ton. It’s bigger than Sasser because it’s naive to think that folks aren’t watching the response, especially black/African Americans. This kid is likely done at UGA and he can only blame himself.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of the punishment... I don't see this as a death penalty case, and the original intent (if this is a death penalty case) not being derogatory (again there is no time this is acceptable in that setting). Now if I'm wrong about the statement, how it was used, or the original intent... Run him out on a rail. From the girls statement about punishment it sounds like their point has been made and what ever the punishment is (as long as it's valid) they will be happy. It didn't sound like they were wanting or expecting him to loose his scholarship and be kicked out of school. I could be wrong about their expection of punishment but I think they knew he was drunk and being an A$$ and now they have taught him a lesson he will soon not forget! And I'm all for punishment that fits the crime but I don't see where this has to be made as some example for UGA. I do understand UGA has to come out and address this publicly and make sure there is not some sort for backlash but I don't see throwing this kid under the bus as a way to help the problem. Just my 2¢

• Options

Not only that but I would think that going to a UGA Football Game in Athens you're about as likely to hear the N word as u r to hear Hot Dog, or Chili Fries no? "And if u don't like it we don't need your support anyway other than to continue to birth 4 and 5 star athletes and send them to Ole Georgia." I love the Georgia football team but as a Native Georgian I would think that this would be how disrespectful the Stanford Stadium crowd would b towards Black players, coaches and fans in general. Same Old Georgia.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Not only that but I would think that going to a UGA Football Game in Athens you're about as likely to hear the N word as u r to hear Hot Dog, or Chili Fries no? "And if u don't like it we don't need your support anyway other than to continue to birth 4 and 5 star athletes and send them to Ole Georgia." I love the Georgia football team but as a Native Georgian I would think that this would be how disrespectful the Stanford Stadium crowd would b towards Black players, coaches and fans in general. Same Old Georgia.

Really, I must not sit in the same section as you. I rarely hear the word used anywhere.

• Options

But I don't think the kid (Sasser) should be demonized either. I'm 51 yrs old and I say and do some of the dumbest things and have offended a great many people so I'm definitely not going to pass judgement on this kid. However, I do believe that his actions r a direct result of Georgia's fan culture. This is what enables, supports and encourages this type of embarrassing behavior and unfortunately for Sasser (And NO I don't feel for him) he's gonna wear this one for a long, long time.

• Options
    glwardlawglwardlaw Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

EIther nobody says it or everyone says it. It’s a double standard. I do not use it. How about using a different word that nobody could find offensive. That word is “Slobovian”. And, don’t tell me you are from “Slobovia”’.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Jesupdawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@brentwilson said:
    I go to Greenbrier HS (where Adam graduated from) so a lot of people have been talking about. I heard someone tell me that he said "put in my n****" it's still not justifiable but if this be the case I think he is referring to Justin as a friend

I think the girl reporting she was there did say something like" you cant say it if you're not one of us". So that would sound plausible

This is what gets me African American kids will call each other that all the time then get mad when their white friends say it... don’t make sense

Ut doesn't matter who says it.white people call each other the same thing.ibhear whites and hispanics call each other the n word but they better not say it to a blk person.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

A or ER?

Big difference...

Edit...If he said, "put in my nA" we all know that's not derogatory. If he said "put the nR in" he is expelled.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jesupdawg said:

@Midnite_Train said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is why non blacks would even WANT to use a word that has a history of pure hatred behind it.

Quit worrying about what blacks say to each other, if you’re not black it’s none of your business.

Yes sir mister “hate word police man” personally I don’t use the word. It just gripes me that they call each other one then want to get mad when a white dude does it... how can they justify it being a hate word when they use it. And hey it’s a free country so can’t it gripe me?

No, you can’t gripe. You can’t use the N word, well you can, but be prepared for consequences. Don’t worry what black people say, if you are not black. Heck for all we know the multiple articles that came out yesterday may have been the tipping point for the Haslewood decommitment, see consequences . If you say it in my presence I promise teeth will be missing, and eyes blackened, after all it’s a free country right? Disclaimer I don’t use the word and don’t like to hear it used by anybody. Carry on and GO DAWGS!

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tailgated to hard

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LakeDawg said:

Good post. If the player involved does indeed have true friendships then he is about to find out how good those friendships really are because he will need people to come forward to voice what they see as his true character. I also despise the way Chip Towers has described the 3 girls as "brave". Let's allow the real story to come out before we brand either side as anything.

• Options

@Bankwalker said:

@LakeDawg said:

Good post. If the player involved does indeed have true friendships then he is about to find out how good those friendships really are because he will need people to come forward to voice what they see as his true character. I also despise the way Chip Towers has described the 3 girls as "brave". Let's allow the real story to come out before we brand either side as anything.

If Sasser did yell the n word repeatedly in front of 92+K people he was either the dumbest SOB in attendance or he intended to offend people.
    I can't recall ever hearing anything like that in such a context.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Midnite_Train said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is why non blacks would even WANT to use a word that has a history of pure hatred behind it.

Quit worrying about what blacks say to each other, if you’re not black it’s none of your business.

A word that has a history of hate behind it and it's okay for blacks to use it but no one else? Sorrow that makes no sense at all. Now we can determine what someone else's business is because of their skin color? If everyone wants to be treated equally how can you say your not black so it's none of your business and you can't say the word? How "black" does someone have to be to use the word? If your a child of a black mother and a white father are you "black" enough? How about a black mother and a hispanic father? Where is the line drawn? Why not just say NO ONE should use the word ?

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:

@Midnite_Train said:

A word that has a history of hate behind it and it's okay for blacks to use it but no one else? Sorrow that makes no sense at all. Now we can determine what someone else's business is because of their skin color? If everyone wants to be treated equally how can you say your not black so it's none of your business and you can't say the word? How "black" does someone have to be to use the word? If your a child of a black mother and a white father are you "black" enough? How about a black mother and a hispanic father? Where is the line drawn? Why not just say NO ONE should use the word ?

Again, the word when used by non blacks has a history of extreme hate, prejudice, and some of the worst acts in mankind. WHY would you want to use the word as a non black knowing the history behind it?

If your friend and his sibling all call their mother something derogatory do you walk in his house and do the same? Heck no, because that’s their business, not for you to understand.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@Lefty13 said:

@Midnite_Train said:

Of course it makes SOME sense that whites, the oppressors for 400 years would not get a pass while blacks, the oppressed for over 400 years could use the word in an ironical context.
    That said, I'd prefer the word die off completely.
    Also, I don't hear blacks yelling that word at UGA games.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Again if you find the word so objectionable why would you use it all? I do not use the word and I find it deplorable when I hear it used in songs or hear blacks calling each other it.